cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Remi Bergsma <RBerg...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject Re: LTS release or not
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2016 15:29:24 GMT
Hi René,

Yes, except there’s nothing in CloudStack that can handle such a version and I’m unsure
if the extra dot works. If you call it 4.5.2-1 it works. You could only give the package a
new version and then re-release 4.5.2. Although that probably is not compatible with the Apache
release process as we release source on a given git hash. We’d then vote on the same version
multiple times.

Technically it works, I deployed 4.7.1-SNAPSHOT several times.

Regards,
Remi

On 11/01/16 16:23, "Rene Moser" <mail@renemoser.net> wrote:

>Hi Remi
>
>On 01/11/2016 04:16 PM, Remi Bergsma wrote:
>> Maintaining LTS is harder than it seems. For example with upgrading. You can only
upgrade to versions that are released _after_ the specific LTS version. This due to the way
upgrades work. If you release 4.7.7 when we’re on say 4.10, you cannot upgrade to 4.8 or
4.9. The same for 4.5: 4.5.4 cannot upgrade to any 4.6, 4.7 or 4.8 because it simply didn’t
exist when these versions were released. (4.5.3 has been accounted for so that does work this
time). If you want to keep doing 4.5 releases 18 months from now, that’s going to be a real
issue. Users probably won’t understand and expect it to work. And yes, we will change the
upgrading procedures but it’s not there yet.