cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Weber <terbol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Minor releases!
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2016 14:53:21 GMT
On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 3:50 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:

> On 01/07/2016 03:47 PM, Nux! wrote:
> >> And that is indeed it. I'm not keen on doing point releases either.
> >
> >> Simplify upgrade paths, ditch the fact that a VR has to be upgraded
> >> every time, etc, etc.
> >
> > That'd be heaven. I hate the VR upgrades!
> >

> A version might have a flag telling if the VR needs upgrade or not.
> Boolean, true/false.
>

> >> We could also call 4.8 simply 4.7.2. It's just a number :)
> >
> > +1, perhaps switch to version based on dates?
> >

> No, my point is. Just the fact that it is called 4.8 makes people itchy.
> I really wonder why.

Because with the current versioining scheme a new major release means new
features/big changes = bugs = downtime.
Atleast that is the assumption based on previous experience.

More or less every major release before 4.6 had issues related to upgrades,
so there is your reason for why people are itchy.
Even 4.6.0 had issues after all.

--
Erik