cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Freeze everything until we get CI
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2016 10:36:22 GMT
Hi Folks,

My proposal to freeze until we get CI was indeed due to seeing Rohit’s commit but was by
no means a personal attack or judgment.

We have lots of PR pending (as mentioned before by Remi) and we need people to help review
and test.
So thanks to Rohit.

My only concerns were two fold:

1- We need  to keep to adhere to our release principles:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Release+principles+for+Apache+CloudStack+4.6+and+up

Hence I replied to some PR asking if they needed to be merged directly in master or not and
wondered about the release branches.

With so many releases in flight it is not yet clear to me where we start to apply a PR ?

2- We need to keep testing and post results of tests.

Currently it is manual and but there has been a strong guarantee in the last releases that
the PR where not going to break things.
While I agree that some PR are small and *should* not break things, history has shown that
even small unrelated things *somehow* can affect the behavior of cloudstack.

So I proposed a freeze because:

- Remi stepped down as RM and we don’t have an official RM yet.
- The code has reached a solid state and we don’t want to do anything that changes that
- We have a proposal for LTS on the floor
- We still don’t have CI.

So my standpoint is that we focused in the last 6 months on getting our release principles
right (pending LTS principles), code has stabilized and we can release. Awesome.

Now is probably a good time to concentrate our limited resources on figuring out automated
CI.

- For instance as far as I know Travis is bonkers…(reports green but does not do anything)
- And with citrix stepping out, we need to take control of the jenkins slaves (some of which
are on AWS and still paid by Citrix…)

My email while triggered by seeing Rohit’s commits, was not a judgement or critic of his
actions, so let’s not get into a personal argument here.

-Sebastien

> On Jan 28, 2016, at 11:00 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
> So, since some have directly (over IM etc) or indirectly have thrown allegations on me
since I merged most of the PRs.
> Here is a list of those 12 PRs and answers on why they were merged on case-by-case basis.
> Please keep any further replies technical and to the specific PR, please point out and
revert if needed:

> 1. https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1288
>
> Enough LGTMs, JS related change and fix tested with UI screenshot from Remi. I personally
looked at the diff and therefore then merged.

> 2. https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1274/files
>
> Enough LGTMs, a simple NPE fix one-liner. I personally thought we can cheat here and
given Travis/Jenkins passed I merged it.

> 3. https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1261/files
>
> Enough LGTMs, the diff only removed unused variable leading to change in the constructor
definition. Explicit integration tests are not necessary as it’d simply dead-code removal
and as the simulator smoke tests passed with Travis/Jenkins passed so I merged it.

> 4. https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1048
>
> Enough LGTMs. This change is related to a marvin test itself where it adds 2 new test
methods — so no need to run regression integration test. The integration test result of
the marvin test was shared in the comment. PR merged on this basis.

> 5. https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1044
>
> Enough LGTMs and regression tests results (shared as attachments by Daan, in case someone
missed), so merged.

> 6. https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/969
>
> Enough LGTMs and regression tests results (shared as attachments by Daan, in case someone
missed), so merged.

> 7. https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/855
>
> Enough LGTMs and regression tests results by Remi, so merged.
>
> 8. https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/831
>
> Enough LGTMs and only text changes in API doc-string so merged given Travis/Jenkins passed.
>
> 9. https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/830/files
>
> Enough LGTMs and NPE fixes, so no explicit integration tests required given Travis/Jenkins
passed.

> 10. https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1256/files
>
> Enough LGTMs and simple Java OOP fix with Travis/Jenkins passed so merged this. I’m
aware of this codebase.

> 11. https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1240
>
> Enough LGTMs, the changes would require manual tests wrt usage server etc as well as
confirmed in comments. I had seen the regression test result (of the new/modified marvin test
wrt of the feature) so merged. The regression test suite does not include this among other
tests.

> 12. https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1289
>
> Enough LGTMs, this was a findbugs related fix. Travis/Jenkins passed on it and the findbugs
mvn job result was shared to confirm that the fix works now. This was not merged by me.

> Regards.
>

> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect	, 	ShapeBlue
> d: 	 | s: +44 203 603 0540	 | 	m: 	+91 8826230892
> e: 	rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com | t: 	 | 	w: 	www.shapeblue.com
> a: 	53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK
>
> Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India
trademark.
you have received this email in error.