cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Remi Bergsma <RBerg...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject Re: Minor releases!
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2016 16:08:19 GMT

On 07/01/16 16:33, "Rene Moser" <mail@renemoser.net> wrote:
>On 01/07/2016 04:10 PM, Remi Bergsma wrote:
>> Even minor releases had issues so I don’t see the difference.
>
>Yes, that is why you make them as small as possible. and they are used
>to improve things.

Which is what we are doing?

>> To me there’s only one road to success: test every PR, run integration tests against
real hardware and have someone review the code. Then release as fast as possible.
>> Unfortunately, without write access to Github we will not be able to automate this.
>
>Good plan but this discussion is about _fixes_ for things we already run
>on hardware in production in real world conditions. For problems we
>worked around. For issues we deal with daily and waiting for a release
>that fixes these.

Sorry, I don’t get your point. I run both 4.4 and 4.7 in production and fast releases help
me deploy fixes soon and make users happy.

>> Like I said before, if you want to stick on another version, please go ahead and
release any version you need. I’m sure Daan, Rohit or myself are more than happy to show
you how to do that.

>It is not about me, it is about reliable releases.

First it was about the pace, now it’s about their reliability?

>We can not even tell users which releases are still maintained and
>getting fixes, even how long the latest release gets fixes...

Why can’t we tell them? Because we go faster now? I’m sure we can explain it.

Regards,
Remi