cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Thoughts on Citrix announcement yesterday
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2016 16:20:44 GMT
Hi everyone (cross-posting),

Yesterday Citrix announced that it sold its CloudPlatform business to Accelerite from Persistent
Systems [1]

As you know CloudPlatform is Citrix’s commercial distribution of Apache CloudStack. I wanted
to share a few thoughts on what this means for CloudStack.

One of the core tenet of the Apache Software Foundation is non-affiliation to companies, as
such all of us on these lists participate and contribute to CloudStack as individuals. While
the majority of us who are contributing daily to CloudStack are actually doing it as part
of our day jobs we still voice our opinions as individuals and companies do not (and should
not) have influence on what we do. This is one of the things that makes ASF great. This is
also one of the reasons why the ASF  and us as a project will not comment on this announcement.
It is Citrix’s business, not ours.

That said, Citrix gave CloudStack to the ASF back in 2012 and contributed heavily in the early
days to its development and maintenance. We should be thankful to Citrix for donating this
software and helping the community grow. Giving it to the ASF was also the move that allows
us to keep on going like “business” as usual. We as a project do not depend on Citrix.
Hence Citrix selling its CloudPlatform business does not change our day to day.

Over the years it is fair to say that Citrix involvement through the many individuals participating
on these lists as diminished, with the vast majority of the work now carried on by others.
If we were to do a ASF “faux-pas” and actually check affiliation of the folks that are
doing most of the development and release work, we would see other companies than Citrix.
Companies offering CloudStack services but also and mostly CloudStack users, a few doing it
as a hobby and most because their company uses it. This is open source at its core, folks
using a software, loving it, loving their peers, and contributing back for the benefit of
everyone.

It is impossible for me to say what Accelerite will do, I have had no contact with them so
far and did not know this sale was coming. Neither do I know what will happen to all the fine
Citrix engineers that were still working on CloudStack. Whatever they do, I wish them the
best and thank them for the dedication to our project over the years. Early indication from
the press release seems to indicate that Accelerite will engage with us. If they do, we will
welcome them like any contributors to an ASF project. With openness, transparency and respect
(the Apache way).

I do want to mention that I think this may be an opportunity for CloudStack. Observers might
think that our project is dead because of Citrix selling its business, but they would be mis-informed
about the nature of ASF projects. I actually believe the contrary and think this will be a
time where more users and potentially companies will engage more actively. They will see that
the route to a successful Cloud is through engaging and becoming part of our community. They
will also finally stop thinking that CloudStack is a Citrix product and that might be the
kicker that brings them on board.

Finally, being a technical guy, I like to focus on technical things. We have done some great
strides over the past 8 months, we have stabilized CloudStack and are now releasing faster
than ever, we have dockerized, we have pluginized, we have had several events... In september
we will go to Brazil for CCC. Brazil is seeing a huge growth in CloudStack adoption.

We still have a ton to do, from removing technical debt, fixing security issues, improving
packaging, making CloudStack ever more easier to develop and use. This has not changed. We
have some very important discussions going on around LTS and GitHub hosting. If anything I
think the container movement is a bigger threat to our project than Citrix’s announcement.
As companies start to embrace the container ecosystem and building containerized applications,
what happens to CloudStack ? How does CloudStack work in a container world ? The same question
are valid for OpenStack by the way, I just don’t buy into the Magnum effort, but I digress
:)

So thank you Citrix, we hope to welcome Accelerite and let’s keep on Stacking,

[1] https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2016/01/11/a-new-home-accelerite-to-acquire-cloudplatform/

-Sebastien
VP Apache CloudStack