cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Remi Bergsma <RBerg...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject Re: Minor releases!
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2016 14:22:27 GMT
Hi Erik,

>And even if 4.6 and 4.7 is considered stable, and testing efforts have
>increased dramastically, there is always a chance for regressions.
>Just take a look at all the VR fixes that has come in after 4.6 (I am not
>saying they are all regressions!)

That’s a nice example of why we needed to change. The VPC refactor (that happened from 4.5
-> 4.6) introduced problems that we should have seen before (but didn’t). We should make
sure that such big changes are broken into smaller pieces and are testable. At least we can
fix them quickly now, although the PRs that are open for these issues aren’t being reviewed
and tested unfortunately.

>I did try a 4.6 upgrade from 4.5 which essentially broke a lot of our VPC
>usage and had to revert.
>As a user I have to account for that before doing the upgrade, which means
>I have to do it in a maintenance window.
>
>With minor releases the risk is less, because there's no new features, just
>bug fixes (and possible improvements?), and that is easier to account for
>if you don't really need the new features right away.

That’s a dangerous assumption. We upgraded from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 and that was hell.

>Another note on the rapid release schedule is that it stresses testing
>efforts, you already scream about more testers, but essentially testing is
>a 1-week job every month/release, not everyone have time and resources for
>that.

I referred to testing Pull Requests, so testing before stuff gets in. If we do that properly,
testing the RCs takes little effort.

>To summarize; I (and hopefully most other users) really appreciate all the
>hard work done by SBP, SB, Leasweb, PCextreme +++, but not everyone is in
>the same positition to do rapid upgrades as you guys are.

Which means we should stop it? Really, just be clear. It’s perfectly fine with me. Just
need to know what people want.

Regards,
Remi