cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Nux! <...@li.nux.ro>
Subject Re: Minor releases!
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2016 14:39:53 GMT
Hi,

> So, yes, monthly releases can be done and the quality is better than before.
> Actually, I think we should go much faster. Whenever a PR is merged that fixes
> your issue, it should be possible to deploy it right away. It’s a change in
> mindset.

This actually sounds very interesting; having a major.minor.$date or something, but it could
get trickier when the said PR fixes something in the DB and the versions need to be gracefully
dealt with.

> Before this change, master was broken all the time. Now you can even run
> production from master. It just works (tm). Users should pick the latest
> version.

I've watched ACS mature over the years and now it's definitely in its best shape yet.

> There will always be bugs, so the faster we release, the smaller the
> diff and the easier the deploy and best of all: the sooner the bug is resolved
> in production.

Makes sense.

> To be honest, I have the feeling not much people agree with me. So maybe I
> should stop doing this. I also see it in the number of people reviewing and
> testing. It’s simply disappointing. Anyway, let me know what you guys want. If
> people want to go back to the old way of working then that’s also fine with me.
> I just won’t be the Release Manager of it.
>
> Let me know!

Ok, so first of all I am letting you know that I appreciate your efforts very much and can't
thank you enough for your being RM.
Also a lot of thanks to other SBP staff, PCExtreme, Leaseweb & Shapeblue and others for
all their work; sometimes I just feel like a scavenger, "profiting" from their work. :)
Keep up the good job!

Secondly, my own problem with the current velocity is that it does generate fatigue.
Everything must be tested all the time, eyes must be on git and on the mailing list.

And this is how it should be, really, but it can become a problem or at least disappointing
when people fail to engage as much as we'd want.
We need to be aware the community is indeed small, the users might be many but few get involved
in development (people still don't get "open source") and not many of us have the luxury of

working with Cloudstack every day and have it be the main subject.
There are days when I don't even get to think about it, let alone do anything about it, I
work some very busy shifts dealing with random things.

I think people in my situation - or worse - might feel uncomfortable with a fast pace, they
might feel left behind and sometimes it's just not easy to keep up.
I know how heavy it feels to run a mission critical cloud and have no idea whether you'll
be able to pull the next upgrade off.
The idea of longer term support through many minor versions can sound very appealing and make
people feel cosy. RedHat is exploiting exactly this with their RHEL, for example.

Having said that, I would not go back to the old ways. I think we're on a good track here
and we just need to test more, especially automate said testing more, in environments as close
to production as we can. This my 2016 resolution. :-)

My 2 pence

Lucian