cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Remi Bergsma <RBerg...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CloudStack 4.7.0
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:10:22 GMT
Hi Rohit,

Thanks for the PR. I think we will do 4.7.1 in about 2 weeks time, so that’s around the
time 4.5.3 will also be there. Wouldn’t that just be fine? For now, 4.5.3 is not there yet
so blocking a release based on that doesn’t seem fair to me.

Let’s get the new stuff to our users (we will get even more feedback) and then improve it.
We will release 4.7.1 soon, like we did with 4.6.1. In other words, I think releasing fast
is better than trying to be perfect and causing delays.

Agree?

Regards,
Remi

From: Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>>
Date: Wednesday 16 December 2015 11:36
To: "dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>" <dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Apache CloudStack 4.7.0

Hi all,

I’ve tested 4.6.2 to 4.7.0 database upgrades and it works because there are no checks in
the code wrt from/to versions declared in an upgrade classes. The other issue is the upgrade
path for 4.5.3 is broken and would not upgrade it to 4.7.0, but leave it in between. I’ve
sent a PR for review that fixes these issues: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1247

It’s debatable whether we need to care about 4.5.3 as it’s not released yet, in which
case we can aim to fix the db issue for 4.7.1+. Though, in my opinion the issue is a blocker
as it would leave future users of 4.5.3 in a bad state if they decide to upgrade to 4.7.0
(assuming 4.5.3 should be out soon after 4.6.2/4.7.0) so I’m casting the following for now:

-1 (binding)

Meanwhile, I’m testing 4.7.0-rc1 and following works for me:

- Life cycle tests with KVM (CentOS6 and Ubuntu 14.04 based)
- Regression testing: SAML single-sign on, several minor KVM enhancements
- Metrics UI views
- Upgrade tests from 4.5.2 and from 4.6.2 (note: if pre 4.5 users with multiple zones/secondary
storages try to upgrade to 4.7.0, they would likely hit systemvm template not synced across
all secondary storages issue; fix is to rsync or cp all systemvm template folder across all
zones/secondary storages and mark that template as Active in DB)

(yet to test with XenServer and VMware, and using CentOS7 as KVM host and mgmt server host)

Repos used:
http://packages.shapeblue.com/cloudstack/testing/centos/4.7<http://packages.shapeblue.com/cloudstack/testing/centos/4.6>
http://packages.shapeblue.com/cloudstack/testing/centos7/4.7 http://packages.shapeblue.com/cloudstack/testing/debian/4.7

SystemVM template used:
http://packages.shapeblue.com/systemvmtemplate/4.6

Regards.

[ShapeBlue]<http://www.shapeblue.com>
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect      ,       ShapeBlue

d:      +44 203 603 0540 | s: <tel:+44%20203%20603%200540%20|%20s:>      |      m:
    +91 8826230892<tel:+91%208826230892>

e:      rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com | t: <mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com%20|%20t:>
     |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>

a:      53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK

[cid:image58f498.png@dc0d96a2.40b5e854]

trademark.
you have received this email in error.

On 16-Dec-2015, at 12:20 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>>