cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Github
Date Sat, 19 Dec 2015 09:30:00 GMT

On 12/19/2015 10:12 AM, sebgoa wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Apologies for a week end email couple days before christmas, but this needs to get out.
>
> Late October I started thread [1] about moving our repo to GitHub, I would like to re-open
this discussion.

> Now that we have stabilized master and release 4.6.0, 4.6.1, 4.6.2 and 4.7.0 we need
to think about the next steps.

> To me Git and GitHub has become an essential tool to any software development, not using
it to its full potential is hurting us.

Indeed. Last time I didn't think this through properly and since than I
changed my mind.

If we move everything, including Wiki and Issues to Github it would be
much easier. We gain control over everything we want/need and can
improve stability and quality of the code by hooking all the CI we need.

> Just as an example I would like to point you to [2], this a PR I made to Kubernetes (a
container orchestrator), it literally added 14 characters in a json file.
> This was really a very minor change.
>
> The PR automatically triggered 3 bots which created 7 labels, it ran end to end testss,
Jenkins jobs and triggered third part builds.
> It was automatically merged.

Just awesome!

> This is just an example of things that we could build with proper access to Github.
>
> Currently we don't have that access and we don't have the privileges to do what we should
be doing in terms of CI.

> There are on-going discussion at the board level of the ASF to see if a project purely
hosted on GitHub could be an ASF project.
> The biggest issue there is independence to vendor tools (yes github is a vendor) and
provenance of the commits.
> The ASF committership and release process guarantees that the source of commits and hence
the history of the code is well known at all times.

We can always mirror from Github to ASF, that way the code also lives in
ASF.

We might even start signing our commits using git gpg? That way we
always know who the commit came from :)

Bottom line: Yes! Please, let us move to Github. It will also take away
work from Infra. They are busy enough.

Wido

> Bottom line:
>
> I would like us to use Github and hence I would like us to request to the ASF infra and
board that CloudStack be allowed to move to GitHub.