cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Metrics views for CloudStack UI
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2015 19:15:23 GMT
Hi Wido,

Yes, we can do that but the issue here is we'll have to make a listVMs call for each zone/host
row in respective metric views, such changes would cause several API requests and UI to block
for longer times. The other option could be to implement new sets of APIs that aggregate data
at the backend so that the client/UI won't need to make several API calls.

Regards.

From: Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl>
Sent: Friday, November 6, 2015 1:45 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Metrics views for CloudStack UI

On 11/05/2015 03:09 PM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The present CloudStack UI hides most of the metrics data such as cpu, memory, disk, network
usage in inner detail views. Such information is critical to find issues in one’s cloud,
for example finding clusters where hosts are failing, or finding storage pools where disk
space has depleted beyond configured global or cluster thresholds.

> The metrics views for CloudStack UI is an attempt to solve those problems that brings
in several UI enhancements such as sortable tables, new status icons, methods to control breadcrumb
navigation, making UI’s global list* API pagesize dynamic, a new table widget based on listView
widget that is both horizontally and vertically scrollable, supports cell/threshold coloring,
collapsible columns along with navigation from one view to another and quick-view actions.
For example, currently support navigation are: Zone to Cluster to Host to Instance to Volumes,
and Storage Pool to Volumes.

> The current version implements six resource views for zone, cluster, host, instance,
volume and storage pool (primary storage). The metrics framework (based on listView widget)
would allow developers to write more such view where information can be densely packed.

> Please checkout the FS (with some screenshots) and the PR;
>
> FS: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9020
> JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9020
> PR: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1038
>
> Comments and suggestions?

Overall it looks very good, but I personally would like to see the
amount of Instances per Zone/Host in a Quick overview, that's what
lacking currently imho.

Would that be easy to do?

Wido

> Regards,