cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Metrics views for CloudStack UI
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:13:34 GMT
Hi Nux,
   The thing about ghz is that it is the unit of capacity for CPU, VMs are
allocated to hosts according to the number of "cycles" it has.  As a
customer, I agree, core count is more important. As an admin, if you have a
single host in a cluster that is using much more CPU than the others and
want to try to balance, the ghz number for the VM can tell you 1) which VMs
on a host are the 'biggest' when cgroup throttling kicks in, that is, how
much of the host CPU share a VM will get, and 2) if that VM will fit on
another host - the old UI helps you know which hosts don't have capacity
for a migration, but it doesn't tell you how full each host is and doesn't
give you this data to know how full you'll make a host if you migrate.

    Many people will want these metrics to go into a time series system and
use something like the graphite publisher instead, as that will give better
visibility into what's going on over time, but this seems like a good
out-of-the-box solution to expose the data we already have buried in the UI.