cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Tutkowski <mike.tutkow...@solidfire.com>
Subject Re: Storage plugin docs?
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2015 21:00:43 GMT
The SolidFireShared (1:M) plug-in allows you to pass in info to the
createStoragePool API (via the URL field and use of the applicable provider
(i.e. plug-in)) so that the storage plug-in creates a volume on its SAN
(SolidFire, of course, for me), then tells the hypervisor in question (for
this plug-in, XenServer or VMware) to consume the new volume with an SR
(XenServer) or a datastore (VMware).

In the past, you would have needed to manually create a volume on your SAN,
then manually tell XenServer or VMware to make use of it. At that point,
you'd be able to issue a createStoragePool command to CloudStack (and
leverage the default CloudStack storage plug-in).

This SolidFireShared plug-in also allows you to control IOPS for the
backend volume, as well. If you decide you need more performance to the
volume, you can issue that change request via a CloudStack API command and
the storage plug-in will make the necessary changes on the SolidFire SAN
for the volume in question.

The data path protocol to the SolidFire volume is iSCSI.