cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From ilya <ilya.mailing.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Metrics views for CloudStack UI
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 06:26:44 GMT
I think we need a new set of APIs in the future to retrieve the content
much faster, current API calls in environment with thousands of VMs are
really slow.

On 11/6/15 11:15 AM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Hi Wido,
>
> Yes, we can do that but the issue here is we'll have to make a listVMs call for each
zone/host row in respective metric views, such changes would cause several API requests and
UI to block for longer times. The other option could be to implement new sets of APIs that
aggregate data at the backend so that the client/UI won't need to make several API calls.

> Regards.

network usage in inner detail views. Such information is critical to find issues in one’s
cloud, for example finding clusters where hosts are failing, or finding storage pools where
disk space has depleted beyond configured global or cluster thresholds.

>> The metrics views for CloudStack UI is an attempt to solve those problems that brings
in several UI enhancements such as sortable tables, new status icons, methods to control breadcrumb
navigation, making UI’s global list* API pagesize dynamic, a new table widget based on listView
widget that is both horizontally and vertically scrollable, supports cell/threshold coloring,
collapsible columns along with navigation from one view to another and quick-view actions.
For example, currently support navigation are: Zone to Cluster to Host to Instance to Volumes,
and Storage Pool to Volumes.

>> The current version implements six resource views for zone, cluster, host, instance,
volume and storage pool (primary storage). The metrics framework (based on listView widget)
would allow developers to write more such view where information can be densely packed.

>> Please checkout the FS (with some screenshots) and the PR;
>>
>> FS: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9020
>> JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9020
>> PR: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1038
>>
>> Comments and suggestions?
>>

> Overall it looks very good, but I personally would like to see the
> amount of Instances per Zone/Host in a Quick overview, that's what
> lacking currently imho.
>
> Would that be easy to do?
>
> Wido
>
>> Regards,
>> Rohit Yadav
>> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
>>

>> [cid:image003.png@01D104EF.CE276C40]
>>

>> M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>
>> Blog: bhaisaab.org<http://bhaisaab.org> | Twitter: @_bhaisaab
>> ShapeBlue Ltd, 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London, WC2N 4HS

>> CloudStack Software Engineering<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-engineering/>

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.