cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Package Repositories
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2015 11:01:46 GMT

On Nov 30, 2015, at 11:28 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:

>> On 30-Nov-2015, at 3:38 PM, sebgoa <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> - source
>> - community repo
>> - 3-rd party repo
>>
>> I am +1 with this, why ?
>>
>> -source is a no brainer
>> - community repo (apt-get) because that's our defacto pkg repo even though we don't
vote on packages. There was not vote to say these were our community repo but that's a fact.
Several people have access to the machine and can make updates etc...
>> - 3rd party, allows us to list vendor pkg repo. The more vendors provide CloudStack
the better. I see it a bit like the "books" discussions we had couple years ago. We do not
endorse them, but we should promote them.

> +1 on possibly doing official packages and hosting in future.
>
> -1 on the listings, community repo is 3rd party repo too. With my PMC hat on - just because
several people from the community are maintaining it should not make it blessed unless they
are officially voted. Even if half the community were to maintain an unofficial repository,
it would still be a 3rd party repo.

> We should write them like this:
>
> - source
> - 3rd party repo (not endorsed by Apache)

big -1 on this, that would be even more confusing.

The community repos stand out from any other repos because:

- there are part of the installation docs, and
- because they have been maintained for several years now.
- they are non-affiliated

The fact that we don't vote on them is really a technicality that we never addressed (lacked
of time, lack of clear policy etc).

if we can't resolve this then I will be in favor of just listing source downloads.

> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect
>

> S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +91 88 262 30892
>
> rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com | www.shapeblue.com | Twitter:@ShapeBlue

> IaaS Cloud Design & Build
> CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework
> CloudStack Consulting
> CloudStack Software Engineering
> CloudStack Infrastructure Support
> CloudStack Bootcamp Training Courses