cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Remi Bergsma <RBerg...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject Re: VR refactoring, concerns and a way out ?
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2015 07:59:06 GMT
Hi Abhi,

Currently we run BVT tests and whatever doesn’t yet work we create a blocker for. The challenge
is to make sure when we fix one thing, we do not unintentionally break something else leading
to a new blocker. That’s why we do a lot of testing on the PRs fixing blockers, so we keep
things working and reach a point where we can cut a release. It slows things down, but not
as much as reintroducing old bugs and starting all over.

We don’t need more administration. The list of blockers in Jira is clear and we know who
works on them. It doesn’t matter to me who files them nor of what type they are.

Regards,
Remi

On 01/10/15 06:23, "Abhinandan Prateek" <abhinandan.prateek@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> I can understand Citrix concern of some critical scenarios being missed. Citrix supports
several customers with sometimes weird setups requiring that extra step in fixing and making
the code that works in all those scenarios.

>The current code has been contributed by community, by people who just want to see cloudstack
become better. The code was contributed as per process and has been there for more than 6
months, not including the time that this effort took, which is over an year.

>Can someone from Citrix consolidate all the VR issues and consolidate those under an umbrella
ticket. As I can see the importance of those bugs is being lost in this chatter. Will request
Citrix to take that extra effort in identifying the bugs, putting in enough details so that
the use cases it breaks are understood in the community. Then it is just a number game —
how many are squashed and how fast by the resilient community.

>-abhi
>

>> On 24-Sep-2015, at 9:06 pm, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>>
>> Everything else aside, do we really think that this could be backed
>> out cleanly? The initial merge should be easy to pull out, but 6
>> months of follow on work? There's no way that's coming out cleanly.
>>
>> --David
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:21 AM, Raja Pullela <raja.pullela@citrix.com> wrote:
>>> @wilder, Not sure why you would think it as a nonsense approach? sure, you realize
amount of code churn and blockers we are dealing with when 4.6 is ready to go out.

>>> Agreed, the refactoring happened several months ago and we could have taken a
closer look then-   the recent blockers filed have uncovered areas where in the implementation
didn't exist.  I will post the bug details around this.

>>> Obviously, the refactoring changes missed multiple critical test scenarios and
will take substantial time to test/stabilize.

>>> The BVTs are coming good for basic zone and Adv zone there are still a number
of failures and it will take us good time to get those fixed.

>>> Besides the BVTs, regression tests are in a very bad shape.  Hope to get to these
starting next week.

>>> Please see my latest bvt report, I will post in another 2 hrs, waiting for a
new run to complete.

ago? And expect it to become more stable?

the VR refactoring, indeed it happened several months back. Reverting it now does not seem
like a good idea.

showed XS tests almost at 100%, there were only some issues with KVM.

The problem is we are unable to resolve them effectively because master is unstable. There
currently isn’t a single PR that solves it, hence there is no way to test PRs. This is because
we have many PRs open and they were all branched off of a master that doesn’t work. I simply
can't test proposed PRs.

and we could solve issues and merge PRs. I’m not saying it was bug-free, but at least we
could work on stabilising it. Most likely, we accepted a “fix” that made things worse.
Probably even multiple of them.

seemed), so indeed if we have issues now of stability, we should identify what caused it

stable. I’ll have a look today with Wilder and Funs to see if what fixes we need to combine
to make it work again. O
PR with current master and work from there.

you could revert to that point and play forward PRs that did not render master unstable.

VR functionalities are broken and are in a mess to say the least. It definitely will take
some time and effort from several folks to get it to a stable state.

apologies to restart this thread again.

fixing lot of VR issues, about the VR issues and he is pretty concerned about the refactoring
that has happened.  I have had the same concern for sometime now  (VR issues have been on
the list of issues to be looked into for at least 4+ weeks) and wanted to see a good solution
for this- with VR being very fundamental to the system.

some time and it is working well.

unknowns, what we will find out and how long this will take to stabilize the VR functionality.

>Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related services
>
>IaaS Cloud Design & Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//>
>CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework<http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>
>CloudStack Consulting<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/>
>CloudStack Software Engineering<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-engineering/>
>CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
>CloudStack Bootcamp Training Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>
>This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the
use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely
ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.