cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: Hyper-V clock on KVM node - CLOUDSTACK-8978
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2015 16:05:36 GMT

On 24-10-15 02:15, Josh Harshman wrote:
> Just looking for some feedback on this idea for an improvement.
>

> Currently, for any windows guest OS, we set RTC for the clock source. This seems to contribute
to clock-drift issues leading to BSODs on Windows Server 2008 R2 Guests.

> I believe a possible improvement would be to set Windows guests to use the hyper-v clock.
To do this we will need CloudStack to generate the appropriate Libvirt XML which would look
somewhat like the following:

> <features>
> <hyperv>
> <relaxed state='on'/>
> <vapic state='on'/>
> <spinlocks state='on' retries='8191'/>
> </hyperv>
> <features/>
> <clock ...>
> <timer name='hypervclock' present='yes'/>
> </clock>
>

> I believe the following code snippet from LibvirtComputingResource.java could be a starting
place to implement this.

> if (vmTO.getOs().startsWith("Windows")) {
> clock.setClockOffset(ClockDef.ClockOffset.LOCALTIME);
> clock.setTimer("rtc", "catchup", null);
>

> Let me know what you all think about this change.
> Is there a better place / way to implement this?

That would indeed be the place to fix this. It's currently rather
hardcoded, but that would be the place to go.

Wido

 [Linkedin] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/intrinium_networks_it_security?trk=fc_badge>
 [Youtube] <http://www.youtube.com/user/intrinium>  [Blog] <http://intrinium.com/blog/>

> Information Security and Compliance Consulting | Managed IT and Security Services | Cloud
Services

> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for
email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information
and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should
not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail
if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you
are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or
taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.