cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Remi Bergsma <RBerg...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject Re: test_nicira_controller.py is failing on all Advzone - XS, KVM
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2015 12:07:07 GMT
Hi Raja,

Skipping tests makes them invisible, I think that is Miguels point.

Yesterday I run some tests and I almost reported all as OK only to realise it had skipped
a test due to not having a certain setup. If it had failed, I would have noticed sooner.

Regards,
Remi

On 01/10/15 13:36, "Raja Pullela" <raja.pullela@citrix.com> wrote:

>Hi Miguel,
>
>I have a setup that runs pretty much everything we have under "smoke" folder as is.  So,
was the request to skip if the config was not there.

>We can put proper error message as Koushik suggested:  "config not there or incorrect
config".
>With that change, it will work for you and with my setup.
>
>I can put in the PR with the changes and you can comment if it works for you?
>
>best,
>Raja

as part of the standard tests for a release.

>-sebastien
>
>On Oct 1, 2015, at 12:57 PM, Miguel Ferreira <MFerreira@schubergphilis.com> wrote:
>
>> Can't we not run the test if we do not wish to do so?
>>
>> \ Miguel Ferreira
>>   mferreira@schubergphilis.com<mailto:mferreira@schubergphilis.com>
>>

>> On 01 Oct 2015, at 12:11, Koushik Das <koushik.das@citrix.com<mailto:koushik.das@citrix.com>>
wrote:

>> Can't we output a proper message (missing OR incorrect config) while skipping the
test?

>> On 01-Oct-2015, at 2:56 PM, Miguel Ferreira <MFerreira@schubergphilis.com<mailto:MFerreira@schubergphilis.com>>
wrote:

>> Hi Raja,
>>
>> I don't agree with what you propose.
>> I do understand your intention is to be able to run all tests and skip the ones you
don't have a config for.
>> However, I also see the other side of that coin, when someone actually wants to run
the tests but makes a mistake in the config and the tests get skipped.

>> I think the test should fail if the config is not right, or otherwise be excluded
if the indentation is to not run them.

>> Cheers,
>> \ Miguel Ferreira
>> mferreira@schubergphilis.com<mailto:mferreira@schubergphilis.com><mail
>> to:mferreira@schubergphilis.com>
>>

>> On 30 Sep 2015, at 19:40, Raja Pullela <raja.pullela@citrix.com<mailto:raja.pullela@citrix.com><mailto:raja.pullela@citrix.com>>
wrote:

>> Hi Miguel,
>>
>> Can you please add some checking in the setup method for the configuration parameters
and if it is not available, can you skip this test?

>> Raja

the test must define a section called NiciraNvp, and that section should have an array os
hosts with that name (see line 46 of the test).
>> In a Marvin config that materializes in something like this:
>> "niciraNvp": {
>>
>> "hosts": [ "nsxcon1.cloud.lan", "nsxcon2.cloud.lan" ] }
>>
>> Furthermore, you need to have a zone configured to use NSX and that requires more
work.
>> You can find a full Marvin config for it here:
>> https://github.com/schubergphilis/MCT-shared/blob/master/marvin/mct-zo
>> ne1-kvm1-NVP.cfg In that same git repo there are config files for
>> deploying a NSX cluster (https://github.com/schubergphilis/MCT-shared/blob/master/deploy/cloud/nsx_cluster.conf).
>> However, we have not yet fully automated all the steps needed to get the cluster
up and running (ie. setting up the cluster internals, and adding a more controllers to the
cluster).
>> I can help you with that if you need.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> \ Miguel Ferreira
>> mferreira@schubergphilis.com<mailto:mferreira@schubergphilis.com><mail
>> to:mferreira@schubergphilis.com><mailto:mferreira@schubergphilis.com>
>>

>> On 30 Sep 2015, at 09:05, Raja Pullela <raja.pullela@citrix.com<mailto:raja.pullela@citrix.com><mailto:raja.pullela@citrix.com><mailto:raja.pullela@citrix.com>>
wrote:

>> Hi Miguel or someone's familiar with this test,
>>
>> Can you please provide documentation around how to get these tests running ?
>> BTW - looks like this is a new test that was added on Aug 25th 2015.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Raja
>>
>> === TestName: None | Status : EXCEPTION === ERROR

>> ERROR: test suite for <class
>> 'integration.smoke.test_nicira_controller.TestNiciraContoller'>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nose/suite.py", line 209,
>> in run
>> self.setUp()
>> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nose/suite.py", line 292,
>> in setUp
>> self.setupContext(ancestor)
>> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nose/suite.py", line 315,
>> in setupContext try_run(context, names) File
>> "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nose/util.py", line 470, in
>> try_run return func() File
>> "/root/cloudstack/test/integration/smoke/test_nicira_controller.py", line 46, in
setUpClass
>> cls.nicira_hosts      = cls.config.niciraNvp.hosts
>> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'hosts'
>> -------------------- >> begin captured stdout << ---------------------

>> === TestName: None | Status : EXCEPTION ===

>> CSLog: CRITICAL: EXCEPTION: None: ['Traceback (most recent call last):\n', '  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nose/suite.py", line 209, in run\n    self.setUp()\n',
'  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nose/suite.py", line 292, in setUp\n    self.setupContext(ancestor)\n',
'  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nose/suite.py", line 315, in setupContext\n
   try_run(context, names)\n', '  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nose/util.py",
line 470, in try_run\n    return func()\n', '  File "/root/cloudstack/test/integration/smoke/test_nicira_controller.py",
line 46, in setUpClass\n    cls.nicira_hosts      = cls.config.niciraNvp.hosts\n', "AttributeError:
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'hosts'\n"]