cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][PROPOSAL]missing power state reports from hypervisors on VMs ([BLOCKER]?)
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2015 08:23:59 GMT
On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Anshul Gangwar <anshul.gangwar@citrix.com>
wrote:

> Currently we report only PowerOn VMs and do not report PowerOff VMs that's
> why we consider Missing and PowerOff as same

​This is not the behavior reported in the ticket. It is intermittend.​

> And that's how most of the code is written for VM sync and each Hypervisor
> resource has same understanding. This will effect HA and many more unknown
> places. So please do not even consider to merge this change.

​sure, I will hold. We do need to not regard a missing report the same as
power off however.
​

> So Now coming to bug we can fix that by changing global setting
> pingInterval to appropriate value according to hypervisor settings which
> takes care of these transitional period of missing report here or can be
> handled by introducing gracePeriod global setting.

​I can see what you are talking about but not what you are saying here. Do
you mean that we need to keep track of ping interval and grace period in
the statemachine for a particular VM?​

> Regards,
> Anshul
>
> On 16-Sep-2015, at 1:11 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto:
> rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>> wrote:
>

> On 16-Sep-2015, at 1:06 pm, Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com<mailto:
> daan.hoogland@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> so two questions:
> - is this a blocker?
>
> A missing state handler is definitely a corner case, and IMO a blocker
> (so, for both 4.6.0 and future 4.5.3).
>
> - is the ignoring after logging the appropriate way to handle this?
>
> It may be undesirable for all cases; so either introducing another global
> setting to control logic (just log, vs update state in the db vs do any
> operation?); or simply find out if the VM is actually running (or any other
> state) just mark it as running in the DB.
>
> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
>

> M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto: