cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Bharat Kumar <bharat.ku...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Blameless post mortem
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:19:19 GMT
Dude,

There was nothing friendly about the postmortem you did, It was only partial, we should do
a complete postmortem and then draw conclusions.

I think the post-mortems like this are of no use if we do not do them completely.

Regards,
Bharat.

On 28-Sep-2015, at 5:39 pm, Remi Bergsma <RBergsma@schubergphilis.com> wrote:

> Dude, this is the final friendly email about his. All points have been made in previous
mails. This has nothing to do with ‘blameless’ and ‘learning’ anymore.

> Read Seb’s mail. We will move on now.
>

> Regards, Remi
>

> On 28/09/15 13:54, "Bharat Kumar" <bharat.kumar@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Remi,
>>
>> Whatever  ever we think  we have discovered are all well known best practices while
developing code in community.
>> I agree that tests need to be run on a new PR,  but i wonder why was this ignored
when merging the VR refactor code. Perhaps we will uncover some more issues if we investigate
this. I believe
>> one of the reasons for this is the complexity and incomplete nature of the vr refactor
change and failing to identify the areas which got effected. If we had a good documentation
i think we cloud have understood the areas that were getting
>> impacted early on, areas like the vpn ,  iptables, isolated networks rvr   etc  and
run the relevant tests. The documentation will also help us focus on these areas while reviewing
 and fixing subsequent issues. Currently no one knows the areas that got effected
>> due to the vr refactor change, we are seeing issues all over the code.  I think this
is a bigger problem than what we have discussed so far.

>> I think presently we should stop fixing all the vr refactoring  bugs until we come
up with a  proper document describing the VR refactoring  changes.

>> I am not suggesting that we should revert the vr refactor code, I am willing to work
on this and fix the issues,  I am only asking if we can get some documentation.

>> Regards,
>> Bharat.

I say actually _running_ the tests we have today on any new PR, is the most important thing.
Having no documentation is a problem, I agree, but it is not more important IMHO. If we had
the documentation, we still would have issues if nobody runs the tests and verifies pull requests.
Documentation that is perfect does not automatically lead to perfect implementation. So we
need tests to verify.

>>> Also we need to move forward. We should have a live chat once 4.6 is out to discuss
all issues/problems and iron out the process.

>>> But reverting the VR refactor is not going to happen. There was ample discussions
on the PR when it was submitted, there was time to review and raise concerns at that time.
It went through quite a few reviews, tests etc…Maybe the documentation is not good, but
the time to raise this concern I am afraid was six months ago. We can learn from it, but we
are not going to revert it, this would not go cleanly as David mentioned.

>>> So let’s get back to blockers for 4.6, are there still VR related issues with
master ?

so I had to repeat myself to make it more clear, Not because i am not aware of what this thread
is supposed to do.

need to repeat. This thread is supposed to list some improvements and learn from it. Your
point has been taken so let’s move on.

should pass. Even better is we write (missing) tests before changing stuff so you know they
pass before and after the fact.

before tests we should have proper documentation. My concern was if a major change is being
introduced it should be properly documented. All the issues which we are trying to fix are
majorly due to VR refactor. If there was a proper documentation for this we could
understand how a particular thing works and what data dose it expect. I think while fixing
the python based code changes this is where most of the people are facing issues. A proper
documentation will help in understanding these in a better way.

and if we find a case that isn’t currently covered by the tests we should simply add tests
for it. There’s no way we’ll get a stable master without them. The fact that they may
not cover everything, is no reason to not rely on them. If a feature is not important enough
to write a test for, then the feature is probably not important anyway. And if it is, then
add a test :-)

(major?) change. I found some design documentations on the subject you mention, but it should
have been more detailed.

review process and running tests. Even if we run the tests we cannot be sure that every thing
will work as intended. The tests will only give some level of confidence. The tests may not
cover all the use cases.

to the code base are dealt with. For example,  VR refactoring was done without discussing
the design implications and the amount of changes it would bring in. I could not find any
design document. The vr refactor changed a lot of code and the way VR used to work and in
my opinion it was incomplete-vpn, isolated networks, basic networks, iptable rules and rvr
in isolated case etc were not implemented. Most of us are still in the process of understanding
this. Even before reaching this state we had to spend a lot of time fixing issues mentioned
in the thread [Blocker/Critical] VR related Issues.

call out all the changes and document them properly. This will help people to create better
fixes. Currently when we attempt to fix the isolated vr case it is effecting the vpc and vice
versa. for example pr 738 fixed it for vpc networks but broke it for isolated case. I believe
it is not too late to at least start documenting the changes now.

Some of the tests can run

a good read and great

a very visible way to get
to provide review (great),