cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VR refactoring, concerns and a way out ?
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2015 13:28:55 GMT

On Sep 24, 2015, at 3:17 PM, Remi Bergsma <RBergsma@schubergphilis.com> wrote:

> Are you serious? You consider to revert a PR that was merged over 6 months ago? And expect
it to become more stable?

I have not followed all the latest development, but if we are talking about the VR refactoring,
indeed it happened several months back. Reverting it now does not seem like a good idea.

I am probably missed a beat here, but the latest BVT results sent by Raja showed XS tests
almost at 100%, there were only some issues with KVM.

> The problem, in MHO, is not that we find bugs that we consider blockers. The problem
is we are unable to resolve them effectively because master is unstable. There currently isn’t
a single PR that solves it, hence there is no way to test PRs. This is because we have many
PRs open and they were all branched off of a master that doesn’t work. I simply can't test
proposed PRs.

> This problem occurred about 3 weeks ago, because before that master worked and we could
solve issues and merge PRs. I’m not saying it was bug-free, but at least we could work on
stabilising it. Most likely, we accepted a “fix” that made things worse. Probably even
multiple of them.

Master seemed stable and PR where being merged towards 4.6 with success (it seemed), so indeed
if we have issues now of stability, we should identify what caused it

> To get out of this, I think we need to combine a few PRs that make it stable. I’ll
have a look today with Wilder and Funs to see if what fixes we need to combine to make it
work again. O
> nce we merge it and master actually works again, we can rebase any open PR with current
master and work from there.

Potentially, if you identify the commit or commits that brought the instability you could
revert to that point and play forward PRs that did not render master unstable.

Thanks for looking into it.

-seb

> Regards,
> Remi
>

> On 24/09/15 14:00, "Ramanath Katru" <ramanath.katru@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>> My vote is for the approach no.1 - to backout completely. Most of VR functionalities
are broken and are in a mess to say the least. It definitely will take some time and effort
from several folks to get it to a stable state.

>> Ram Katru

VR issues, about the VR issues and he is pretty concerned about the refactoring that has happened.
 I have had the same concern for sometime now  (VR issues have been on the list of issues
to be looked into for at least 4+ weeks) and wanted to see a good solution for this- with
VR being very fundamental to the system.

>> Couple of solutions/proposals –
>>
>> 1)      Back out the VR changes – Pros: VR has been stable for some time and it
is working well.

>> 2)      Continue to fix/stability VR changes -   Concerns: is the unknowns, what
we will find out and how long this will take to stabilize the VR functionality.