cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blameless post mortem
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2015 11:29:19 GMT

> On Sep 28, 2015, at 1:14 PM, Remi Bergsma <RBergsma@schubergphilis.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Bharat,
>

> There is only one way to prove a feature works: with tests. That’s why I say actually
_running_ the tests we have today on any new PR, is the most important thing. Having no documentation
is a problem, I agree, but it is not more important IMHO. If we had the documentation, we
still would have issues if nobody runs the tests and verifies pull requests. Documentation
that is perfect does not automatically lead to perfect implementation. So we need tests to
verify.

> If we don’t agree that is also fine. We need to do both anyway and I think we do agree
on that.

Also we need to move forward. We should have a live chat once 4.6 is out to discuss all issues/problems
and iron out the process.

But reverting the VR refactor is not going to happen. There was ample discussions on the PR
when it was submitted, there was time to review and raise concerns at that time. It went through
quite a few reviews, tests etc…Maybe the documentation is not good, but the time to raise
this concern I am afraid was six months ago. We can learn from it, but we are not going to
revert it, this would not go cleanly as David mentioned.

So let’s get back to blockers for 4.6, are there still VR related issues with master ?

> Regards,
> Remi
>

> On 28/09/15 12:15, "Bharat Kumar" <bharat.kumar@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Remi,
>>
>> i do not agree with “There is no bigger problem”  part of your reply. so I had
to repeat myself to make it more clear, Not because i am not aware of what this thread is
supposed to do.

>> Regards,
>> Bharat.
>>
>> On 28-Sep-2015, at 2:51 pm, Remi Bergsma <RBergsma@schubergphilis.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Bharat,
>>>
>>> I understand your frustrations but we already agreed on this so no need to repeat.
This thread is supposed to list some improvements and learn from it. Your point has been taken
so let’s move on.

>>> We need documentation first, then do a change after which all tests should pass.
Even better is we write (missing) tests before changing stuff so you know they pass before
and after the fact.

>>> When doing reviews, feel free to ask for design documentation if you feel it
is needed.

>>> Regards, Remi

we should have proper documentation. My concern was if a major change is being introduced
it should be properly documented. All the issues which we are trying to fix are majorly due
to VR refactor. If there was a proper documentation for this we could
how a particular thing works and what data dose it expect. I think while fixing the python
based code changes this is where most of the people are facing issues. A proper documentation
will help in understanding these in a better way.

find a case that isn’t currently covered by the tests we should simply add tests for it.
There’s no way we’ll get a stable master without them. The fact that they may not cover
everything, is no reason to not rely on them. If a feature is not important enough to write
a test for, then the feature is probably not important anyway. And if it is, then add a test
:-)

I found some design documentations on the subject you mention, but it should have been more
detailed.

and running tests. Even if we run the tests we cannot be sure that every thing will work as
intended. The tests will only give some level of confidence. The tests may not cover all the
use cases.

base are dealt with. For example,  VR refactoring was done without discussing the design implications
and the amount of changes it would bring in. I could not find any design document. The vr
refactor changed a lot of code and the way VR used to work and in my opinion it was incomplete-vpn,
isolated networks, basic networks, iptable rules and rvr in isolated case etc were not implemented.
Most of us are still in the process of understanding this. Even before reaching this state
we had to spend a lot of time fixing issues mentioned in the thread [Blocker/Critical] VR
related Issues.

all the changes and document them properly. This will help people to create better fixes.
Currently when we attempt to fix the isolated vr case it is effecting the vpc and vice versa.
for example pr 738 fixed it for vpc networks but broke it for isolated case. I believe it
is not too late to at least start documenting the changes now.

PR

PR does not get

and we can

If we would have