cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Remi Bergsma <RBerg...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Closing PRs older than 1 month and without activity
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2015 14:25:39 GMT
Hi all,

There are several PRs that are quite old. They haven't been updated by their author for over
a month and there was no response to comments made.

As a RM, I want to maintain an as-short-as-possible list of PRs that is actively worked on.
It is perfectly fine if a PR is open for a longer time, as long as it is actively maintained
(or has a comment that explains why there is a delay). Long lists of open PRs don't give the
impression we actively work on them and might keep people from contributing.

Proposal:
Let's close PRs where the author did not respond for over a month.

How?
For now, I'll manually select the PRs that I propose to close. Next, I make a PR with an empty
commit that closes the PRs by triggering asfbot (as we cannot otherwise close PRs due to it
being read-only for committers). By using a PR, it should be visible which PRs will get closed
(after 2x LGTM and no -1). I’ll send an example PR with link to this thread after I've sent
this e-mail.

Work lost?
The work done in a PR is not lost by closing the PR! If someone wants to take over, this is
how you can merge the work in a new branch (keeping author and commit hashes the same) and
add more commits on top of it. You can then send it as a new PR.

Example:
  prId=12345
  git fetch origin pull/${prId}/head:pr/${prId}
  git merge --no-ff --log -m "Merging PR ${prId} and continuing the work" pr/${prId}
  git commit --amend -s --allow-empty-message -m ''

Please let me know what you think: +1 or -1?

If -1, what should we do instead?

Regards,
Remi