cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release principles for Apache CloudStack
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2015 17:39:29 GMT
While I like the ideas generally [1], some concerns and observations that I wish could be considered;

- active contributor crunch:

we don’t have large number of active people working towards testing, fixing bugs and release,
and reviewing/merging PRs on *master*; this affects the agility of any process or workflow
we want to put in, or expect resolution in a certain window (3-5 days etc.);

- diverse interests:

our user-base may not necessarily want to upgrade to newer version of CloudStack even if they
can proved to be quite stable; in-fact commercially some of us are paid to maintain stable
branches and support users who are still on 4.2/4.3/4.4/4.5 etc; based on my experience, a
typical enterprise users usually stick with a version (that works for them) for at least 6
months, while smb user or in-house consumers are quite agile who may upgrade as quickly as
when new releases are made;

- diverse branching/merging workflow usage and understanding:

the bugfix workflow may not be acceptable (to go on master first), a lot of people have their
own way of branching/merging in their organisations that affect how they do it in the the
project

- waiting time on new changes:

since we don’t have large number of active testers and developers who can fix bugs rapidly,
freezing master and doing the release may take a lot of time (unless if we can put a hard
deadline or have some schedule to support that?), in which case new features and refactoring
work will have to lay hanging (and some rebase/code-rework may be needed later when they are
merged, when master is open)

- release risk:

after a release x.y.0 is made and since master can receive new features, refactoring work;
the next x.y.1 can potentially add more regressions due to those new features and refactoring/re-architectural
work

- release maintenance and support demands:

historically there has been an assumed or known stable release that is fairly tested in the
wild and has built trust due to usage by users (through meetups, users ML, customer interactions
etc), in the past those versions were 4.2.1 then 4.3.1/4.3.2, now based on my experience the
last stable release is 4.5.1

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Release+principles+for+Apache+CloudStack