cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Koushik Das <koushik....@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Quota management service for cloudstack
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2015 10:31:47 GMT
I like the concept of quota. But I am thinking whether this should be a core part of CS or
developed as a plugin. Cloud coins example given below may be a plugin, based on which decision
to allow/disallow operation is made. Another plugin could be to allow/disallow operations
based on VM count or say the current storage used in bytes. There should be flexibility to
put in a condition of choice by the developer/user. If there are multiple such plugins, an
option should be provided to decide the ordering of the plugins (similar to the various host
investigators that are available).

-Koushik

-----Original Message-----
From: Rohit Yadav [mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 1 July 2015 14:48
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Quota management service for cloudstack

> On 01-Jul-2015, at 10:58 am, Erik Weber <terbolous@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am a bit slow nowadays (vacation_mode = True), would you mind
> describing how this differs from the current account/global limits?

I think the global limits and quota are quite different,

Account/Global limits are per resource are to limit a user/account to run/deploy/use maximum
amount of a resource, for example number of VMs a user can deploy.

Quota is to block new demands from a user/account once they exhaust their quota/credit.

For example, we can give some quota to a user which is giving them 1000 cloud coins (credit),
each cloud resource such as ip address and VMs have a flat quota rate (for example, 10 points
per IP); the user deploys bunch of VMs and consumes some public IPs etc, and finally the user
exhausts the quota and the quota system blocks the user to demand any new resource.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com