cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] LTS releases?
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2015 07:20:27 GMT

On Jul 2, 2015, at 4:58 PM, Remi Bergsma <remi@remi.nl> wrote:

> Bug fixing in older releases is actually a lot of work. For security related issues we
could maybe do it.

> Personally, I prefer to have a fast release cycle and smooth (tested) upgrade paths over
2-year LTS release cycle. It's more agile. As a bonus, people get the new features.

> The more people do upgrades that work (tm) the more confident they are. I'd really want
to show that upgrades work so well that we need no LTS.

> But there might be other reasons people have where LTS would help. Please share!
>
> Regards, Remi

I think we got in a situation with 4.4 that called for us to keep maintaining 4.3….and even
after 4.5 was released. Because 4.3 was seen as a good release.

Now that we have 4.4 and 4.5.2 etc, I don't think we will have the cycles to maintain that
many release branches.

The big issue is upgrade path,

IMHO our LTS strategy is to have master as a release branch itself, adopt good practice to
merge to master, have great upgrades and no regressions.

Ultimately we should divert our efforts to master.

So I am +1 with Remi on this.