cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rajesh Battala <rajesh.batt...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Commit to master through PR only
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2015 05:22:41 GMT
+1 for squashing commit

-----Original Message-----
From: John Burwell [mailto:john.burwell@shapeblue.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 2, 2015 12:14 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Commit to master through PR only

All,

I think we should stick to 2 votes per PR.  Defining types of PRs becomes difficult bordering
on the arbitrary — adding a process complexity and the potential to start debating if a
particular PR is one type or another.

I agree regarding the fast forward, and feel that all PRs should squashed down to one commit.
 Ultimately, intermediate commits that seem informative in a feature branch become noise in
a history as large as CloudStack’s.

To enforce the policy and ensure that PRs are merged in an orderly and correct manner (i.e.
one at time), I think we should consider adopting a tool such as bors [1] to verify that the
merge passes all tests and then performs the merge. It would some minor modification to require
two votes, but I doubt that would take much effort to implement.  If there is interest, I
would happy to make those changes for the project.

Thanks,
-John

[1]: https://github.com/graydon/bors

---
John Burwell (@john_burwell)
VP of Software Engineering, ShapeBlue
(571) 403-2411 | +44 20 3603 0542
http://www.shapeblue.com

> On Jul 1, 2015, at 1:48 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 25-Jun-2015, at 4:38 pm, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> A few of us are in Amsterdam at DevOps days. We are chatting about release management
procedure.
>> Remi is working on a set of principles that he will put on the wiki to start a [DISCUSS].
>>
>> However to get started on the right track. I would like to propose the following
easy step:

>> Starting Monday June 29th (next monday):
>>
>> - Only commit through PR will land on master (after a minimum of 2 LGTM and green
Travis results)
>> - Direct commit will be reverted
>> - Any committer can merge the PR.
>
> +1
>
> I’ve been trying to help close PRs, it was difficult at first but then I found some
tooling to help me do that. I think it’s certainly do-able without investing a lot of effort
to do it, perhaps can done everyday or every few days in a week.

> Some suggestions and comments to improve PR reviewing/merging:
>
> - Let's merge the PR commits in a fast forward way instead of doing a branch merge that
introduces frivolous merge commits. This is one approach to do quickly and painlessly:

> http://blog.remibergsma.com/2015/05/24/accepting-pull-requests-the-easy-way/
>
> - Let’s try to send PR around on one issue or one broad issue, or against a JIRA ticket;
but avoid unrelated sub-systems etc

> - If there are not many changes (say less than 100-200 lines were changed), let's have
the changes melded into one commit. This can be done either by the PR author or by the committer.
The immediate benefit is that all the changes will be much easy to port across other branches,
easy to view and follow git-log, and easy to revert-able.

> - Certain PRs that are typographical fixes, doc fixes and tooling related fixes - so
let’s review and merge them if we’ve at least one green review (“LGTM”), though changes
to CloudStack mgmt server, agent and plugins codebase IMO should have at least 2 green reviews
(“LGTM”).

>> Goal being to start having a new practice -everything through PR for everyone- which
is an easy way to gate our own commits building up to a PR.

>> There is no tooling involved, just human agreement.
>>
>> cheers,
>
> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue