cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Abhinandan Prateek <abhinandan.prat...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Quota management service for cloudstack
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2015 05:03:43 GMT

> On 02-Jul-2015, at 9:51 am, Koushik Das <koushik.das@citrix.com> wrote:
>

> On 01-Jul-2015, at 4:44 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>

>>> On 01-Jul-2015, at 12:31 pm, Koushik Das <koushik.das@citrix.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I like the concept of quota. But I am thinking whether this should be a core
part of CS or developed as a plugin.

>> It will be a separate plugin, not part of the core CS though we may need to refactor
the core to allow configurability of features in the plugin.

> Please update the FS with the plugin interface and its interaction with the other components
once it is finalized.

Updated:

The main quota plugin will be a DB plugin interacting with usage tables mainly and usage server.
There will be a UI plugin too, to customise, to manage quotas, to generate reports and to
customise email templates.
A new account state will be introduced to represent that the account has run out of the quota.
If more granular control is required on resource changing APIs then we will need some kind
of classification (annotation) to make the APIs as resource acquiring, resource releasing
or query only. At this point we are not planning for such fine grained control but just to
mark the account state as "no quota credit" if an account runs out of quota and quota service
is enabled.

>>> Cloud coins example given below may be a plugin, based on which decision to allow/disallow
operation is made. Another plugin could be to allow/disallow operations based on VM count
or say the current storage used in bytes. There should be flexibility to put in a condition
of choice by the developer/user. If there are multiple such plugins, an option should be provided
to decide the ordering of the plugins (similar to the various host investigators that are
available).

>> Regards,
>> Rohit Yadav
>> Software Architect, ShapeBlue