cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From John Burwell <john.burw...@shapeblue.com>
Subject [DISCUSS][PROPOSAL] CloudStack Upgrade Policy
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2015 05:09:56 GMT
All,

A recently proposed change [1] to remove older upgrade code has prompted a wider discussion
regarding the policy we should employ regarding upgrade support.  Currently, we have no policy
regarding how far back the process will function.  As the system evolves, it is simply unsustainable
to expect a deliver a reliable upgrade from releases that are many years old (e.g. 3.x to
the latest 4.x). Currently, we do not verify that all upgrade paths work for each release.

My straw-man proposal is that effective with the 4.6 release, we only support upgrades from
two minor releases back of release with revisions inclusive.  For example, upgrades to 4.6.x
would be supported from 4.4.x and 4.5.x.  The upgrade process from releases prior to 4.4.0
would require a two step process — upgrade to the latest version 4.5 release and then upgrade
from the latest 4.5 release to the latest 4.6 release.  This approach provides backwards compatibility
while establishing an upgrade process that is reasonably testable.

In my opinion, any upgrade policy should satisfy two criteria — support the operational
processes of the majority and be verifiable through automated testing.

Thanks,
-John

[1]: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/608

---