cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From John Burwell <john.burw...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: 4.6
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2015 16:43:40 GMT
All,

Why are we averse to cutting a release stabilization branch?  In the past, we have cut release
stabilization branches to ensure that the flow contributions was not interrupted.  For committers,
it is not a big deal since they can manage their branches in the cloudstack repo.  However,
for non-committers, this freeze could cause unnecessary frustration and discourage further
contributions.

Thanks,
-John

From: sebgoa <runseb@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 6:33 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: 4.6

On Jun 8, 2015, at 11:45 PM, Remi Bergsma <remi@remi.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can jump in and work with Rohit and Daan to make 4.6 happen.
>
> +1 for the QA on master. It would be best if we could then all focus on stabilizing 4.6
aka master and wait with refactor stuff and new features until 4.6 is out, which is the start
of 4.7.

> On the other hand, building new features in the mean time isn't a big issue, as rebasing
to a master that gets more stable every day is much easier than it is today I'd say. You just
cannot merge new stuff until 4.6 is out.

> Let's write down some guidelines and see if this approach makes sense.

Maybe that's something that you can do at the meetup today and bring it back to the list as
a proposal ?

When I talk about freeze I am thinking just letting the RMs commit on master, everyone who
wants something in 4.6 should submit a PR.

> Regards, Remi
>
>> On 08 Jun 2015, at 21:43, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> We need to freeze 4.6 asap.
>>
>> I originally agreed to RM 4.6 and Daan also stepped up.
>>
>> But I would like to work on doing a release of ec2stack and gcestack, so I will step
down from 4.6 RM.

>> Anybody wants to jump in.
>>
>> There is already a ton of things in 4.6 and we need to release.
>>
>> Ideally we also need to QA directly on master, so that we can build 4.7 on top of
a stable release.

>> -sebastien

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.