cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Remi Bergsma <RBerg...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Out of Band VR migration, should we reboot VR or not?
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2015 14:25:47 GMT
+1

On 04 Jun 2015, at 14:29, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>>
wrote:

Hi,

On 04-Jun-2015, at 11:05 am, Remi Bergsma <RBergsma@schubergphilis.com<mailto:RBergsma@schubergphilis.com>>
wrote:

To summarise:
#1. rebooting VR is needed for hypervisors that have their own DR (like VMware and Hyperv)
as a restart outside of CloudStack makes it lose its config hence the VR is unavailable
#2. rebooting is NOT needed for successful live migrations on _any_ hypervisor (since there
was no restart everything still works)
#3. CloudStack 4.6 has persistent config in VR, so rebooting is never needed

The current behaviour in 4.4.3, 4.5.1 and master:
- always rebooting VR when out-of-band detected ==> Works great for #1, but makes case
#2 not work

The previous behaviour:
- never rebooting VR when out-of-band detected ==>  Works great for #2, but makes case
#1 not work

We need something that works for both cases :-)

About #1 and #2:
Can we detect in another way that a VR became unreachable/non-functional and do an action
based on that?

So, if a VR lives on a VMware hypervisor that happens to crash, VMware HA will start it on
another available hypervisor but without config it will not be reachable on the control network.
If we want to do it generic, I’d say that when a VR is not controllable any more we could
reboot it. We could also make this a setting ‘systemvm auto reboot on control failure’
or whatever we call it.

This would then also be a useful feature in 4.6

About #3:
I’d suggest at least reverting the commit to master, as it makes no sense since the VR is
persistent already.
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/blob/master/server/src/com/cloud/network/router/VirtualNetworkApplianceManagerImpl.java#L2638
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=commitdiff;h=c3515c9

I agree on master, we can revert due to #3.

On 4.4 and 4.5 branches, if we revert it than it will break #1 and if we keep it - it breaks
#2. We need to fix this in a hypervisor agnostic way.

So, if we can use aggregated cmd execution that Sudhashu and others have shared, in case of
an out of band migration we can do this:

1. If we’re unable to reach VR, we can keep the RebootTask to do its job. In many cases
I’ve seen VR disk corruption, so if after rebooting VR (which might kick in fsck) it fails
CloudStack may eventually recreate a new VR makes sense. This will solve #1. This case IMO
is highly unlikely.

2. If we’re able to reach the VR after VR is migrated out of band, we run an AgrregationExecutionTask
sending all the rules for that VR. This will solve #2 without needing to reboot a VM. This
case is more likely to happen, so if I’ve pick between this and the above case, I would
try to solve for this case.

I’m not sure about the actual implementation, and will re-applying rules using a AgrregationExecutionTask
cause any issue in the VR? Comments?

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue