cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Commit to master through PR only
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2015 19:54:44 GMT
On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> A few of us are in Amsterdam at DevOps days. We are chatting about release management
procedure.
> Remi is working on a set of principles that he will put on the wiki to start a [DISCUSS].
>
> However to get started on the right track. I would like to propose the following easy
step:

> Starting Monday June 29th (next monday):
>
> - Only commit through PR will land on master (after a minimum of 2 LGTM and green Travis
results)
> - Direct commit will be reverted
> - Any committer can merge the PR.
>
> Goal being to start having a new practice -everything through PR for everyone- which
is an easy way to gate our own commits building up to a PR.

> There is no tooling involved, just human agreement.
>
> cheers,
>
> -Sebastien

In general, +1
I think we should set a time, say a month or two out, to review how
well it has worked, and what we need to tweak to make things better. I
think we should be explicit with this so that we can say 'On $date'
we'll start a thread to talk about what has and hasn't worked and how
we can improve this.

--David