cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Out of Band VR migration, should we reboot VR or not?
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2015 13:30:55 GMT
nobody has been taking this up. In order to have a 4.4.4 I will go for
the quick hack (in 4.4 and 4.5)

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Koushik Das <koushik.das@citrix.com> wrote:
> From the persistent config changes, it appears that aggregate command approach is not
required in 4.6 and onwards. If someone wants to implement the aggregate approach only for
4.4 and 4.5 irrespective of the effort involved then that should be fine.

> Otherwise we can just put some config to decide between #1 or #2. Another alternate could
be to replace the reboot logic with an alert if there is an out of band VR migration. Based
on it admin can reboot the VR from CCP if required. There will be a window during which the
VR will be without ant config but that can be documented.

as a restart outside of CloudStack makes it lose its config hence the VR is unavailable #2.
rebooting is NOT needed for successful live migrations on _any_ hypervisor (since there was
no restart everything still works) #3. CloudStack 4.6 has persistent config in VR, so rebooting
is never needed

> The current behaviour in 4.4.3, 4.5.1 and master:
> - always rebooting VR when out-of-band detected ==> Works great for #1, but makes
case #2 not work

> The previous behaviour:
> - never rebooting VR when out-of-band detected ==>  Works great for #2, but makes
case #1 not work

> We need something that works for both cases :-)
>
> About #1 and #2:
> Can we detect in another way that a VR became unreachable/non-functional and do an action
based on that?

> So, if a VR lives on a VMware hypervisor that happens to crash, VMware HA will start
it on another available hypervisor but without config it will not be reachable on the control
network. If we want to do it generic, I’d say that when a VR is not controllable any more
we could reboot it. We could also make this a setting ‘systemvm auto reboot on control failure’
or whatever we call it.

> This would then also be a useful feature in 4.6
>
> About #3:
> I’d suggest at least reverting the commit to master, as it makes no sense since the
VR is persistent already.
> https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/blob/master/server/src/com/cloud/network/router/VirtualNetworkApplianceManagerImpl.java#L2638
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=commitdiff;h=c3515c9
>
> I agree on master, we can revert due to #3.
>
> On 4.4 and 4.5 branches, if we revert it than it will break #1 and if we keep it - it
breaks #2. We need to fix this in a hypervisor agnostic way.

> So, if we can use aggregated cmd execution that Sudhashu and others have shared, in case
of an out of band migration we can do this:

> 1. If we’re unable to reach VR, we can keep the RebootTask to do its job. In many cases
I’ve seen VR disk corruption, so if after rebooting VR (which might kick in fsck) it fails
CloudStack may eventually recreate a new VR makes sense. This will solve #1. This case IMO
is highly unlikely.

> 2. If we’re able to reach the VR after VR is migrated out of band, we run an AgrregationExecutionTask
sending all the rules for that VR. This will solve #2 without needing to reboot a VM. This
case is more likely to happen, so if I’ve pick between this and the above case, I would
try to solve for this case.

> I’m not sure about the actual implementation, and will re-applying rules using a AgrregationExecutionTask
cause any issue in the VR? Comments?

> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
> M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>
> Blog: bhaisaab.org<http://bhaisaab.org/> | Twitter: @_bhaisaab

> IaaS Cloud Design & Build<http://secure-web.cisco.com/11NRz12My3B5Kzq2aGFKO015q6rxTtLhqlUFP7QMrC0-v_oGzAZzQRov3cOzFQSsoQWiiSpaXHXNHsmfncQDtL7aKrU44zCUAb42UC_t2RaRK1rZc7LdKyQRujP_oVBG8novKP65vr7lykJvafQToJSMcAFzzj2JUV9jZ6Lci-_snpKPxRE6vFwzL_Pi9BksK/http%3A%2F%2Fshapeblue.com%2Fiaas-cloud-design-and-build%2F%2F>
> CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework<http://secure-web.cisco.com/1zDH16MEoBBXO2Aec7JxxfmsbN0-qdNbRkKTaQgb3gu3jOOXzW-4p6XKmZbRcvF5SE5njzz8vnF5PnPQIa_rsd5pUFtuDIx5ldguqoBt4Rk2nhHc6mwB2vtbzN4A9x-8vj7qn0ySYXnUC6gqnft-HDDQowNC3KHSq-CoU7bqHsNG3C5JRrNl1eCvNgVnudnbO/http%3A%2F%2Fshapeblue.com%2Fcsforge%2F>
> CloudStack Consulting<http://secure-web.cisco.com/1-OtYLlvNuHbvbTUwsXuMO3DwRAlWKunbc3M6Q33mljUFXCuyzHK2fBYu0AFTyWepJ92k1NEHyCBTsbPRppXOC6QTmwwePInVQQCg0U6-WvvydOsE_gcyNG28N4NPoBdUZPVgJqZgKptvXAacDyAIHrv1QQxSxMUY36UNVXZAhSXsXock3Opz1pelR-9LBmm-/http%3A%2F%2Fshapeblue.com%2Fcloudstack-consultancy%2F>
> CloudStack Software Engineering<http://secure-web.cisco.com/1eOOKbuGnQ5GwXa19eDF6ksRMZX5ph-7BozqOFbRiImEuer_HG6IBDJVlGyGcbGZdrCnHhvJFDp-Yl0L1eB-XbPf50nZMe2WOGKYSsx2mk-zuEuPNFwRiF0MEVRv4oOIznqqVe3tVXJwhdFfj9DYzq-7pBCplAeljApsG9e1yH0KfjpwzYN1pIX77I6NWMy1W/http%3A%2F%2Fshapeblue.com%2Fcloudstack-software-engineering%2F>
> CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://secure-web.cisco.com/1LjFiZT2WK_5OIqPsi82bcmnjV9p4bsGMz2bLnslp-tPxyh7oZ_rhhm3B0RkTE-7NVtbttV-kUxjPISzjpcwwsDcVpsdkC-CmrieRvQCvZj_8N_xmpmMcX32VE8-I2wSlfUACTy62VSNNtFDHiTY-g299bPGmj1DA1NxiAV7a2iDV31hfpZ84s_Q2GkQeeoeC/http%3A%2F%2Fshapeblue.com%2Fcloudstack-infrastructure-support%2F>
> CloudStack Bootcamp Training Courses<http://secure-web.cisco.com/1GLYfy58uh9y-GuJdHLdpEruL8xIozImvUMGAxmjXtZvGSslV1DM4CdYTvSdbh2ci1Zor1wY5_Ibsq6Wb4RXrEKV9nuZhTWALVGYyDfuWtDBgjzFEgNx64DrghuaQa04hs2-VkbPFjnmBvQr2OsLG_YbLZHOsv7NLBqmwNq7YjEXEbIHvPvrLB4eMTyt4pfrg/http%3A%2F%2Fshapeblue.com%2Fcloudstack-training%2F>

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

--
Daan