cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rene Moser <m...@renemoser.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Out of Band VR migration, should we reboot VR or not?
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2015 13:07:19 GMT
Hi

On 04.06.2015 14:29, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On 04-Jun-2015, at 11:05 am, Remi Bergsma <RBergsma@schubergphilis.com> wrote:
>>
>> To summarise:
>> #1. rebooting VR is needed for hypervisors that have their own DR (like VMware and
Hyperv) as a restart outside of CloudStack makes it lose its config hence the VR is unavailable
>> #2. rebooting is NOT needed for successful live migrations on _any_ hypervisor (since
there was no restart everything still works)
>> #3. CloudStack 4.6 has persistent config in VR, so rebooting is never needed

> On 4.4 and 4.5 branches, if we revert it than it will break #1 and if we keep it - it
breaks #2. We need to fix this in a hypervisor agnostic way.

#1 is something we are already aware of. So I vote for a revert.

We can currently live with it, because

1. Live Migration in VMware hardly fails for such a small VM without
much I/O and such low amount of RAM.

2. We are monitoring the router reboots (uptime) and cloudstack restart
router manually if this happens.

Just a silly question: why not implementing a detected OS out of bound
reboot looking for the

if uptime < last_uptime ? restartRouter

on the router in 4.4 and 4.5?