cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Apache Cloudstack 4.5.1
Date Wed, 06 May 2015 09:59:16 GMT
+1

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Weber [mailto:terbolous@gmail.com]
Sent: 06 May 2015 10:44
To: dev
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Apache Cloudstack 4.5.1

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Vadim Kimlaychuk <Vadim.Kimlaychuk@elion.ee
> wrote:

> Geoff,
>
>         Thank you for explaination. Basically the idea behind that was to
> have (for instance) database tier and web-app tier.   Web-apps-tier servers
> have to communicate with databases, but databases are closed for
> outside world.

The easiest way is to have 2 NICs at web-tier VMs and route inside VM
> without need to send all the requests to VPC router.

But you're also breaking the tiering. Your database server is now fully accessible from the
internet (or wherever you're connected to) through the web servers, and not just the database.

The proper way, imho, is to have a firewall between (ie. the VR), and fix the scaling issues
instead. That's what you do in the non-cloud world as well, you create two tiers and put a
firewall between them.

--

Erik

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.