cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [UPDATE] 2015 progress
Date Tue, 19 May 2015 15:59:43 GMT
This should be a blog post

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 9:38 AM, sebgoa <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Couple months ago I shared a few thoughts for 2015 [1], things that we could do to make
our project even greater.
> There has been good progress, so I would like to share a few updates.
>
> 1- Review board.
> We are no longer using review board, all code contributions should now come as github
pull requests.
> This is proving to be very successful. We have closed 248 pull requests and have 12 currently
open.
> This does not count the commits that come in directly into the source.
> Let's keep it coming.
>
> 2- AWSAPI
> We removed the AWSAPI code that was in our source. It consisted of a lot of auto-generated
code and increased
> our number of lines of code quite a bit. This is going to make our build and our packaging
easier.

> 3- ec2stack and gcestack
> Those two packages are now official CloudStack subproject. They are hosted on Apache
git infrastructure and mirrored on github [2][3].
> We are accepting pull requests the same way than our standard source.
> These are python packages, and represent a good entry point for Python programmers.
> Next is to actually do an official release of these two API interfaces.
>
> 4-Ansible
> The ansible cloudstack module from Rene Moser is being merged in as a core Ansible module.
> Expect it in Ansible 2.0
>
> 5-New docs theme
> Our documentation has a new documentation theme [4] thanks to Pierre-Luc Dion.
> There is still a lot to do here, see [1] for low hanging fruits in this area.
>
> 6-CloudStack days
> Our CloudStack days kicked off in Austin.
> The Tokyo day will be on June 2nd [5] and the schedule should be up shortly.
> The call for papers are open for Seattle [6] on August 20th and Dublin on October 8-9
[7]
> We also have a London meet up this week [11] and in June we will have one in Amsterdam.
> The Dublin event will be a two day event with an off-site hackathon.
> Submit your talks early so we can plan a great program.
> Sponsor so we can have a great conference.
> Register so we can all meet face to face.
>
> 7-Website
> The website has been moved to git, instead of the old svn based apache content management
system.
> It is mirrored on github [8] and we can accept pull requests for modification.
> The website now uses middleman for build system.
> There is also tons to do there, we should come up with a new slick modern design.
>
> In terms of code, 4.5.1 has been released [10] which contains some great plugins like
Nuage SDN, SAML 2.0 and Globo DNS.

> With Apache getting more resources from TravisCI, we are now able to run more integration
tests for every commit and we are going to try a new release process for 4.6.
> We all continue to strive to make CloudStack even more rock solid than it is now, and
making it a snap to release our code. So do chime in on the dev@cloudstack.apache.org if you
want to help with hardening and extending CloudStack.

> If you are not a developer, do have a look at [1], a lot of those items fall in the JFDI
[9] category. Finishing up some of those will greatly help the +2000 people on these lists.