cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] 4.6 release management
Date Wed, 13 May 2015 16:07:58 GMT
On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 8:36 AM, Wilder Rodrigues
<WRodrigues@schubergphilis.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I hope that’s not too late to react on this one.
>
> Having 6 RMs seems a bit too much for me. For PRs containing a few lines of code, just
bug fixes or changing maven files, python, sh, etc it might be simple and quick. However,
if we get a PR with +30 commits and 10k lines added, it gets really difficult to get the community
to test/review the PR. So, for 2 people to go over it is already taking too long to get the
code imagine, now imagine 4 or 6.

> Rohit has done an excellent job in looking into the PRs, commenting on them and some
times testing as well. But there are things that cannot simply get him, or perhaps other guys,
to test properly a PR; having time and environment as the main reasons.

> I would say that in case we have a PR that contains:
>
> 1. Documentation on the Apache CS Wiki
> 2. Unit Tests (a lot of them, minimum 70% for the code changed)
> 3. Marvin Test Results report - test_routers, test_vpc_routers, test_vm_life_cycle, test_account,
at least.

> Should be given priority and get less RMs involved in order to speed up our development/release
processes. Unless, of course, the people would have time to look into the PR immediately.

> What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> Wilder

I like this.
We have to live by our tests. So enforcing good coverage, and gating
on good results makes sense to me.
No human can reliably eyeball all of this.

--David