cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: SystemVM (kvm) : 3 different versions for the same CloudStack version (4.5.1)
Date Wed, 27 May 2015 09:04:20 GMT
Hi Milamber,

You can try this:

Upgrade your current host with latest packages libvirt/qemu and kernel. My test host was on
Ubuntu 14.04.2, so your issue could be something due to Debian 7.x which ships with much older
packages compared to my test host, I’ll try to test with a Debian 7 host later this week.

1. You may need to remove any cached qcow2 image in the primary storage (usually there will
be a file with same md5sum as the current 4.5 systemvm template).

2. Preseed the systemvm template again

3. Check value of router.template.kvm in global settings to confirm the current systemvm template
in use, then grab it’s template id and pre-seed the template again manually using -F:

/usr/share/cloudstack-common/scripts/storage/secondary/cloud-install-sys-tmplt -m /export/secondary/
-f <4.5 systemvmtemplate file downloaded from http://packages.shapeblue.com/systemvmtemplate/4.5>
-h kvm -o localhost -r cloud -d cloudpassword -F

4. Now destroy old systemvms and report if you face the same issue.

I’m planning to refresh the systemvmtemplate with latest builds after doing some tests in
about 2 weeks time.

> On 25-May-2015, at 2:14 pm, Milamber <milamber@apache.org> wrote:
>

> On 25/05/2015 11:56, Rohit Yadav wrote:
>> Hi Milamber,
>>
>> In theory you should be able to use any of the systemvmtemplates and also from jenkins.buildacloud.org,
but the one I published on packages.shapeblue.com is the latest and has the few additional
improvements, latest packages and security updates.

> Ok so it's better to use the shapeblue systemvm.
>

>> I’ve tested this and it seems to have worked for me on Ubuntu 14.04 based host,
>
> Debian 7 + backports enabled. It's works fine with CS 4.4 (probably I will re-install
with Ubuntu 14.04.1)

>>  can you share what is your KVM host like, distro, libvirt/qemu version and kernel
version?

> ipxe-qemu 1.0.0+git-20131111.c3d1e78-2.1~bpo70+1
> libvirt-bin 1.2.9-9~bpo70+1
> libvirt-clients 1.2.9-9~bpo70+1
> libvirt-daemon 1.2.9-9~bpo70+1
> libvirt-daemon-system 1.2.9-9~bpo70+1
> libvirt0 1.2.9-9~bpo70+1
> linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64 3.2.68-1+deb7u1
> linux-image-amd64 3.2+46
> python-libvirt 1.2.1-2~bpo70+1
> qemu-kvm 1:2.1+dfsg-12~bpo70+1
> qemu-system-common 1:2.1+dfsg-12~bpo70+1
> qemu-system-x86 1:2.1+dfsg-12~bpo70+1
> qemu-utils 1:2.1+dfsg-12~bpo70+1
>

>> Was the host Intel-VT or AMD-V enabled, or was it virtualized (KVM on KVM/Xen/VMWare)?
>
> Intel-VT
> model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8700  @ 2.53GHz
> flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs
bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm
sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm ida dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority

>> What is the time and timezone on your host and if kvmclock was disable/enabled on
the kvm host?

> Timezone : Africa/Casablanca
>
> kvm clock NO
> cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
> hpet
>

>> Lastly, can you also share if the SSVM gets stuck indefinitely or you did not wait
that long and decided to reboot it?

> I decided to reboot after at least 10 minutes after the Cleaning message display on console
(not reboot: don't work, virsh reset instance_name)

>> Regarding the upgrade path, it does not matter really. Since you register 4.5 template
before upgrading the upgrade path would simply check if a systemvm template exists for currently
used unique hypervisors (it does that by checking for current hosts with distinct hypervisors
from cluster table). The checksums and URLs are in there for adding rows in the db in case
you decide to add a new hypervisor host and it needs to donwload a suitable template for that
new hypervisor. There are on-going discussion on improving the upgrade process so this issue
may be addressed in that.

> Ok thanks for the explain.
> Only "systemvm-kvm-4.5" in the template before the update is relevant.
>
> Milamber
>

>>> On 25-May-2015, at 9:13 am, Milamber <milamber@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> There have 3 different versions of the SystemVM image for CloudStack 4.5.1 (for
KVM, but I assumed that concerns other hypervisors)

>>> 1/ shapeblue.com version on Upgrade 4.5.1 from 4.4 page [1]
>>>
>>> 2/ apt-get.eu version on Installation Management Server Page [2]
>>>
>>> 3/ cloud.com version in com.cloud.upgrade.dao.Upgrade442to450 class [3] (Used
for the upgrade process from 4.4.2-3 to 4.5.1)

>>> The checksums are different:
>>> 1 - 5b6d9f276bc1faf50d2fe839c3c7dc5a systemvm64template-4.5-kvm.qcow2.bz2
>>> 2 - c3f5d60fbc4a6af7e85c94bb776f2778 systemvm64template-4.5-kvm.qcow2.bz2
>>> 3 - aa9f501fecd3de1daeb9e2f357f6f002 systemvm64template-4.5-kvm.qcow2.bz2
>>>
>>> The date/size (of the Qcow2 inside) too:
>>> 1 - -rw-r--r-- 1 milamber milamber 312669696 May    5 01:40 systemvm64template-4.5-kvm.qcow2
>>> 2 - -rw-r--r-- 1 milamber milamber 303972352 Mar   7 12:21 systemvm64template-4.5-kvm.qcow2
>>> 3 - -rw-r--r-- 1 milamber milamber 305387008 Sep  4  2014 systemvm64template-4.5-kvm.qcow2
>>>

>>> I'm not sure if that's relevant, but yesterday, my upgrade from 4.4.3 to 4.5.1
is failed when I would re-create a virtual router (using the cloud.com version). I have tried
to recreate SSVM and CPVM without success too)
>>> (Installation type: Adv Network without SG)
>>>
>>> I made a re-installation of my test platform with a fresh 4.5.1 version with
shapeblue version (more recent), failed too on the start of SSVM (blocked on "Cleaning up
temporary files..."), after 1 manual VM reset, the SSVM started, but the first VR have the
same problem and the reset don't work like the SSVM.
>>> (Installation type: Adv Network with SG)
>>>
>>> I made another re-installation of the test platform with a fresh 4.5.1 with apt-get.eu
version. OK for SSVM but need to do 1 reset for the first VR (and the second VR too).
>>> (Installation type: Adv Network without SG)
>>>

>>> That is relevant?
>>>
>>> What is the good version?
>>>
>>> That is a bug for the freeze on "Cleaning up temporary files"?
>>>
>>> Why the Systemvm checksum is hard-coded in the class? If I had make my upgrade
with the shapeblue or apt-get.eu version I think an error will be occur on Upgrade process?

>>> Milamber
>>>
>>> ====
>>> [1] http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-release-notes/en/4.5.1/upgrade/upgrade-4.4.html#update-system-vm-templates
>>> [2] http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.5/management-server/index.html#prepare-the-system-vm-template