cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Turner <Stephen.Tur...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] [UI] List of timezones available in the picker and potentially other places
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:54:53 GMT
The Etc ones won't work as they don't obey DST.

The ones on your picture seem to be the standard tzconfig timezones. If we want to produce
a smaller list, we'd have to make a mapping of the small list onto standard timezone rules,
and maintain it whenever the rules change. (E.g. when countries split or merge or decide to
change to a different timezone).

--
Stephen Turner

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Weber [mailto:terbolous@gmail.com]
Sent: 21 April 2015 11:03
To: dev
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] [UI] List of timezones available in the picker and potentially other
places

I'm not sure I agree

My main issue is the number of elements, not necessarily their order.
Now matter how you order ~600 elements it'll be a mess to find the right one

There's quite a lot of redundancy here, for my local timezone (UTC+1 / CET) there are multiple
options who all maps to the same timezone:
- Etc/GMT+1
- Europe/Oslo (or any other city in CET)
- CET

If I'd been in america there'd even be a couple of of SystemV abbreviations available.
My question is; do we really need all this? We're asking for timezone, not location after
all.

If we are to keep the list, would it make sense to have a condensed version on top, showing
all timezones from Etc ?

--
Erik