cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CentOS Cloud SIG effort
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2015 06:54:13 GMT
All, and specially Paul and Nux,

Any chance you can join this meeting, and see what we need to do on the CentOS front ?

On Apr 1, 2015, at 5:03 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> [...]
may have been a subset) that the CentOS community is working on a Cloud SIG (Special Interest
Group) effort. You can read a little about it athttp://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Cloud

OpenStack, Open Nebula, and Eucalyptus, works solidly on CentOS, has all of the prerequisite
packages available, gets CI on the CentOS platform, and so on.

on Red Hat Enterprise Linux), we'd love to have your participation in this effort.

>> Hi Rich, thanks for the ping again.
>>
>> We have been in touch with KB (Nux! and I mostly) and submitted our scripts for building
a cloudstack centOS templates upstream. It works and was merged at some point, but it got
pulled back because we stick some scripts in there.

>> Bottom line is that I feel we need to work further upstream in cloud-init to improve
cloudstack support there, once that’s done, we can come back to the CentOS builds for cloudstack.

>> fwiw, our install base is probably ~70% centOS and we already have centOS7 support.
>
> In the OpenStack world, we see CentOS as a great way to get the message out about OpenStack.
Wearing my ASF hat, I'd really like to see the same vehicle be used to get the word out about
CloudStack. CentOS goes to a lot of events, and many of them are ones that CloudStack isn't
at. I'd love to see the Cloud SIG be a way to get the word about CloudStack into audiences
that typically only ever hear about OpenStack. (Yes, I have split loyalties here, and that's
fine.)

> Anyways, a reminder that we will be having this meeting on #centos-devel at 15:00 UTC
*tomorrow*, and it would be awesome to at least have some representation from the CloudStack
community there to ask the right questions and see what we can do, on the CentOS side, to
fix these cloud-init problems and bring CloudStack some more of the CentOS spotlight. Or even
just show up so that folks can meet you and we can figure out if there's anything we can do
to help one another.