cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: /tools, devcloud and extras
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2015 09:39:24 GMT
Hi Ian,

On Wednesday 08 April 2015 11:02 AM, Ian Duffy wrote:
> tl;dr I want to move devcloud4 into some community location, where
> should I put it?

If you need to host the readymade DevCloud4 disk images, I can help host
it on packages.shapeblue.com which can be also mirrored by Lucian.

> Hi all,
>
> As previously discussed on the list awhile back I'm wanting to move
> the devcloud4[1] stuff into more of a primary view and out of a public
> repository that is just hosted on my personal github account. I have
> questions around this....
>
> 1) For those who have tried devcloud4 did it work, were you happy with
> the experience? Do you feel the dependencies on vagrant, chef,
> virtualbox, berkshelf, etc. introduce a whole new learning curve that
> is  too complex?
>
> 2) Assuming 1) gets positive responses, what would the most
> appropriate way to bring in devcloud4? I was thinking of using /tools,
> however when I began to explore /tools I found myself in a place of
> mystery and wonder....
>
> Originally I was thinking it may be acceptable to just replace
> /tools/devcloud, however I've come to the conclusion this is a bad
> idea given the great marvin configurations that are there and the pom
> for deploying the devcloud db.
>
> Then I began exploring.....
>
> /tools/devcloud - The original devcloud as documented on rohits
> blog.... http://bhaisaab.org/logs/devcloud/ (I think???)

I would say let's get rid of a lot of archaic /tools stuff, remove the
/tools/devcloud and replace with devcloud4. Do it boldly!

> /tools/appliance/definitions/devcloud - Not a clue what this is?
> Appears to be some veewee definitions that build up a single box of
> mysql, nfs, management server and xen? Is this used by anyone?
>
> /tools/vagrant/devcloud - This was cool, it was recently added it is
> like the devcloud4 basic setup except it doesn't use chef for mysql
> and nfs configuration. Instead it uses a bash script, loved the
> simplicity of this.

We need a lot of cleanup in tools/vagrant and in /tools in general as
Sebastien commented.

> /tools/devcloud-kvm - This appears just to be marvin configuration
> files and a sql file.... I think it might be neat if we were to update
> this with something like Rohit's peppercorn (assuming my understanding
> of them is correct they are attempting to achieve the same goal). I
> know there's another duplicate effort of a KVM development environment
> by Marcus: http://marcus.mlsorensen.com/cloudstack-extras/

My Ansible based peppercorn is not really general purpose and assumes
someone has already setup a Debian/Ubuntu VM/host with a running SSH server.

> Slightly off topic but.... I think it would be a good idea if we began
> to maintain some sort of a "resources" list (more recommended
> resources over official resources) for Cloudstack. There's lots of
> really cool things out there (chef cookbook, ansible cookbook,
> cloudmonkey, marvin, prebuilt templates by openvm.eu, cloudstack perl
> client and probably many more....) that folks really wouldn't discover
> unless they went searching.

We can put a page on wiki or on website. Put links to books (like
Sebastien's), blogs, articles etc.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 8826230892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
PS. If you see any footer below, I did not add it :)

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.