cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: CentOS Cloud SIG effort
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2015 15:03:32 GMT

On 03/27/2015 04:41 AM, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
>> >On Mar 26, 2015, at 4:28 PM, Rich Bowen<rbowen@rcbowen.com>  wrote:
>> >
>> >A while back I mentioned to some folks (I think it was this list, but it may
have been a subset) that the CentOS community is working on a Cloud SIG (Special Interest
Group) effort. You can read a little about it athttp://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Cloud

>> >The idea is to ensure that cloud infrastructure software, like CloudStack, OpenStack,
Open Nebula, and Eucalyptus, works solidly on CentOS, has all of the prerequisite packages
available, gets CI on the CentOS platform, and so on.

>> >At the moment, this is*only*  OpenStack, with the other projects unrepresented.
>> >
>> >If you are interested in adoption of CloudStack on CentOS (and, by side effect,
on Red Hat Enterprise Linux), we'd love to have your participation in this effort.

> Hi Rich, thanks for the ping again.
>
> We have been in touch with KB (Nux! and I mostly) and submitted our scripts for building
a cloudstack centOS templates upstream. It works and was merged at some point, but it got
pulled back because we stick some scripts in there.

> Bottom line is that I feel we need to work further upstream in cloud-init to improve
cloudstack support there, once that’s done, we can come back to the CentOS builds for cloudstack.

> fwiw, our install base is probably ~70% centOS and we already have centOS7 support.

In the OpenStack world, we see CentOS as a great way to get the message
out about OpenStack. Wearing my ASF hat, I'd really like to see the same
vehicle be used to get the word out about CloudStack. CentOS goes to a
lot of events, and many of them are ones that CloudStack isn't at. I'd
love to see the Cloud SIG be a way to get the word about CloudStack into
audiences that typically only ever hear about OpenStack. (Yes, I have
split loyalties here, and that's fine.)

Anyways, a reminder that we will be having this meeting on #centos-devel
at 15:00 UTC *tomorrow*, and it would be awesome to at least have some
representation from the CloudStack community there to ask the right
questions and see what we can do, on the CentOS side, to fix these
cloud-init problems and bring CloudStack some more of the CentOS
spotlight. Or even just show up so that folks can meet you and we can
figure out if there's anything we can do to help one another.

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon