cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Improving VR services such as password server
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2015 06:37:38 GMT
Hi everyone,

I want to re-start the discussion on improving VR services and making a framework to build/improve
old/new features such as reset password, dhcp, dns, vpn etc. that are both running on VR or
on user VMs (reset password for example). For this, I’ve updated the wiki for high level
goals and architecture diagram. Please share your comments and review on this proposal:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Agents+Framework

Kishan - Yes, I’m also want to have a mechanism to update/upgrade systemvms without say
registering a new one, or say during the patching process it can upgrades packages; since
recently we had seen several openssl related issues where a common fix was to simply upgrade
the packages. See the above wiki for details.

> On 20-Feb-2015, at 2:48 pm, Kishan Kavala <kishan.kavala@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> Rohit,
> Completely agree with the scalability and maintenance issues with systems Vms. Using
an agent inside VR will probably work well for KVM, since the KVM agent (Resource layer) is
remote. Communication using link-local network also won't be a problem is such case.
> For other hypervisors, it will increase load on the mgmt server due to direct agents.
 Also, mgmt server cannot access VRs directly.

> The options you mentioned  are definitely worth exploring.
>
> Are you also looking at improving system Vm upgrade procedure?

QA of systemvms. One of the common user facing issues related to scalability was the reset
password/key servers where the VR serves data using socat etc using forking mechanisms and
global locks. This slows down the processes such as reset password.

> More here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-8272
>
> One of the blindly thrown solutions includes increasing the VR RAM which works for at
scale but then seems to fail again when the load is increased beyond a point. I don't know
of any performance and stress testing reports that tell us about these bottlenecks. Please
share if you have done anything in this regard.

> I want to do couple of things:
>
> - Explore systemvm build changes using newer tools such as packer
> - Cleanup script execution and code in resource layer
> - Start replacing bash scripts with more robust implementations, perhaps a single or
few agents on VRs that provide non-hardcoded well-documented interfaces
> - Right now everything in VR/systemvms is sort of hardcoded and the services/interfaces
are not well-documented. The idea is to refactor and wrap everything we want to do with the
systemvms in a general agents framework that provides monitoring and managing the VRs (do
stuff like upgrades etc to combat things like ghost, poodle issues):
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Agents+Framework
>
> What are the other issues you've had in past that you would like to be improved?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
> M. +91 8826230892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
> Blog: bhaisaab.org | Twitter: @_bhaisaab PS. If you see any footer below, I did not add
it :) Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related services

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.