cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From ilya <ilya.mailing.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Improving VR services such as password server
Date Sat, 28 Mar 2015 00:12:46 GMT
How about extending all features into io-socket in KVM/XEN and VM
Annotation details with VmWare?

Similar to what we do with system VMs when they come up - except there
are no router vms to manage and depend on.

On 3/26/15 11:37 PM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to re-start the discussion on improving VR services and making a framework to
build/improve old/new features such as reset password, dhcp, dns, vpn etc. that are both running
on VR or on user VMs (reset password for example). For this, I’ve updated the wiki for high
level goals and architecture diagram. Please share your comments and review on this proposal:

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Agents+Framework
>
> Kishan - Yes, I’m also want to have a mechanism to update/upgrade systemvms without
say registering a new one, or say during the patching process it can upgrades packages; since
recently we had seen several openssl related issues where a common fix was to simply upgrade
the packages. See the above wiki for details.

>> On 20-Feb-2015, at 2:48 pm, Kishan Kavala <kishan.kavala@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Rohit,
>> Completely agree with the scalability and maintenance issues with systems Vms. Using
an agent inside VR will probably work well for KVM, since the KVM agent (Resource layer) is
remote. Communication using link-local network also won't be a problem is such case.
>> For other hypervisors, it will increase load on the mgmt server due to direct agents.
 Also, mgmt server cannot access VRs directly.

>> The options you mentioned  are definitely worth exploring.
>>
>> Are you also looking at improving system Vm upgrade procedure?

manual/automated QA of systemvms. One of the common user facing issues related to scalability
was the reset password/key servers where the VR serves data using socat etc using forking
mechanisms and global locks. This slows down the processes such as reset password.

>> More here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-8272
>>
>> One of the blindly thrown solutions includes increasing the VR RAM which works for
at scale but then seems to fail again when the load is increased beyond a point. I don't know
of any performance and stress testing reports that tell us about these bottlenecks. Please
share if you have done anything in this regard.

>> I want to do couple of things:
>>
>> - Explore systemvm build changes using newer tools such as packer
>> - Cleanup script execution and code in resource layer
>> - Start replacing bash scripts with more robust implementations, perhaps a single
or few agents on VRs that provide non-hardcoded well-documented interfaces
>> - Right now everything in VR/systemvms is sort of hardcoded and the services/interfaces
are not well-documented. The idea is to refactor and wrap everything we want to do with the
systemvms in a general agents framework that provides monitoring and managing the VRs (do
stuff like upgrades etc to combat things like ghost, poodle issues):
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Agents+Framework
>>
>> What are the other issues you've had in past that you would like to be improved?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Rohit Yadav
>> Software Architect, ShapeBlue
>> M. +91 8826230892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
>> Blog: bhaisaab.org | Twitter: @_bhaisaab PS. If you see any footer below, I did not
add it :) Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related services

>> CloudStack Software Engineering<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-engineering/>

> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
> Software Architect, ShapeBlue