cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on CloudStack while starting as new VP
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2015 19:25:43 GMT

> On Mar 24, 2015, at 6:56 PM, Raja Pullela <raja.pullela@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> Very nice, Congratulations Sebastien!
> Looking forward to collaborate on list of things you have identified!

Thanks Raja, it definitely would be great to get your team’s help with JIRA.
I think we need a strong dedicated effort to clear it up and close all old issues.

We also need to find a way to develop master better to avoid regressions.
There was a lot of talk last summer about gitflow or the like, and we should resurrect this
with some pragmatic action that we can build on.

For instance thoughts that I have are to make sure that we develop in ‘development’ branch
and leave master alone.
Then build releases on master through merges.

Getting you and your team (and everyone else of course) behind such a scheme (TBD still) would
be a huge help.

-sebastien

> Raja

me the new VP of Apache CloudStack. This came after a unanimous vote of the CloudStack PMC
and is regular process of our community as described in our bylaws.

> I am excited to take on this new role after two amazing VP (Chip and Hugo) since CloudStack
came to the ASF. Many thanks to them and especially Hugo for the work he has done in the past
year.

> The ASF is setup so that the governance of a project really belongs to the community
itself. CloudStack is what we all make it to be, we all have equal footing when time comes
to develop the code, create events, take decisions and so on. As VP I do not have a special
say in our direction. This governance model is in stark contrast with other open source project
that follow more of a benevolent dictator model. I mention this as a bit of disclaimer and
to re-enforce the fact that while I have views about what we should do, they are my personal
views and that they do not represent any sorts of official roadmaps, and that anyone is welcome
to disagree :)

> In Budapest, we had a great conference. Chip and I showed several CloudStack use cases.
Our user base is strong with over 300 production deployments. Our community is large and diverse
with 2000 people on the mailing lists, but we need to keep advocating for CloudStack, make
it an even greater software and grow our community. At the very least this helps us learn
from each other, better our own skills and our employers IT infrastructure. At the very best
AWS switches to CloudStack :)

> So here are some food for thoughts that will hopefully excite you, want to get engage,
talk about CloudStack and bring on board your friends:

> On the code:
> -----------------
> - Keep improving quality, remove dead code, cleanup JIRA, cleanup Review Board We have
successfully moved to GitHub pull requests, we should stop using RB
> - Simplify the dev process and adopt a new committing system to avoid regressions at
all costs.
> We have talked about this for a long time but have failed had doing something concrete.
It is time.
> - Remove the AWSAPI (there is a branch without it right now), we should merge it in master
I am going to push for IP clearance of ec2stack and gstack to get them under ASF governance.
> - Several Cloud Providers have unveiled new CloudStack UI, maybe it’s time we do the
same.
> - Solidify the testing infrastructure, keep Jenkins builds running
> - Brainstorm on the future of CloudStack and IaaS in general. What should CloudStack
be in 10 years ?
> While CloudStack is what it is now, nothing prevents us to re-architect, re-think, re-code
it within the current framework.
> - Finally, package the mgt server and the KVM agent as Docker containers Docker is a
great portability mechanism. We should embrace Docker as a packaging tool (first) and provide
container images for our mgt server (at a minimum).
> This could become a type of release artifact that could be easily continuously built.
>

> On the ecosystem:
> -------------------------
> We have a really strong ecosystem. From configuration management tools, API wrappers,
PaaS plugins etc.
> We need to feature our ecosystem clearly on our website, support it and keep on growing
it as new technologies emerge.

> Things that come to mind:
> - Push to get our Ansible module into the Ansible core
> - Publish “official” chef recipes to deploy CloudStack
> - Identify and publish “official” Puppet recipes
> - Build Docker native templates (coreOS, rancherOS, Snappy, Atomic)
> - Finally cleanup cloud-init support for CloudStack, this is preventing us from having
upstream centOS templates.
> - Publish playbooks/recipes to deploy workloads on CloudStack (think Hadoop, Spark, Kubernetes)
> - Work actively on up to date integration with CloudFoundry
>
> On documentation:
> -------------------------
> I and couple others successfully moved our docs to the Read The Docs service. This was
a first great move but we need to finish the job.
> We need to rethink our documentation tree, maybe merge all guides in one, correct the
docs, create a new theme for it.
> This is an easy area to contribute to if you are using cloudstack. Just send a pull request
(click on the top right ribbon).
> If you don’t know how, then it will teach you how to use github, great exercise.
> We also need to routinely build the multi languages support.
>
> On Events:
> -------------------------
> We have at least four great events coming in 2015. Austin, Seattle, Tokyo and Dublin.
> Let’s meet at one of those events.
> Let’s submit a talk or a poster, tell everyone about the great stuff you are doing
with CloudStack.
> If you are in a position at your company to sponsor the event, please do, we need your
help to make those great events.
> Open Source is about collaboration and sharing, so let’s meet around the globe from
Sao Paulo to Dublin to Tokyo and talk Cloud, DevOps and Docker :)

> Finally on the Website:
> -------------------------
> We can live without a website, but having a good one is a great way to showcase our community
and our work.
> The current website is an improvement to what it was before but we need to do much much
better.
> I recently did a small experiment and we could use github page. There is now a gh-pages
branch in our repo.
> Anyone can actually contribute to that branch and it will rebuild a site automatically.
> If we could find a great web designer in our community, we could rebuild our site and
make it a very modern, polished site that would attract even more people.
> It’s an easy one, it just needs someone to step up and do it.
>
> There is much more to this list, It is almost a brain dump. I figure that if we could
work on those five areas and improve them, even just a bit, our project would be so much stronger.
Some of them are easy, it’s just a question of sitting down and doing it.

> So while I cannot tell you what to do, and cannot assign people to some of these tasks.
I encourage you to look at that list and see if there is an area or a thought that strikes
your mind and excites you. If there is, the only think I ask is that you send a pull request
or at the very least an email to tell the rest of us what you are doing.

> To conclude, we do have a bit of bi-polar syndrome in tech, we need rock solid software
in production but we also want to work on the latest cool technologies. I think we can do
both, and if we can do something that is both cool and rock solid in prod than we will have
that amazing feeling of accomplishment and doing great work