cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi <sallykhuda...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: or website
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2015 21:46:39 GMT
NOT SO FAST.
Whilst it's old hat to us, it's still relevant.
Per the 2015 Linux Jobs Report published yesterday:
"The rise of open cloud platforms is creating even more demand for Linux professionals with
the right expertise. Forty-two percent of hiring managers say that experience in OpenStack
and CloudStack will have a major impact on their hiring decisions..."

So I think it _is_ important that we keep "Open Source Cloud Computing", but perhaps augment
to more closely align with our "Just Works" and related campaigns/taglines.
Whilst we may need a bit of Botox, it's not necessary to have a complete overhaul.
Thanks for including us in the dialogue, Ian <g>
Cheers,Sally
      From: Ian Rae <irae@cloudops.com>
 To: "dev@cloudstack.apache.org" <dev@cloudstack.apache.org>
Cc: "users@cloudstack.apache.org" <users@cloudstack.apache.org>; "marketing@cloudstack.apache.org"
<marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>
 Sent: Thursday, 5 March 2015, 11:41
 Subject: Re: or website

Recommend we start with the purpose of the website. If only informational and logistics, documentation
and code then perhaps it doesn't matter. But I think there is a greater purpose.
I would argue it not only represents our project and community, but communicates our project
and community to the rest of the world and to some extent aligns the community itself.
So I agree with Seb that having a modern, professional, ideally attractive design is very
important. Equally important that the vision, mission of the community be clear and accessible,
and ideally, exciting! What problem does CloudStack solve better than anything else? Does
it solve it in the way the market is looking for (i.e. costs nothing for a complete product
that works out of box, vendor neutral, runs easily and reliably and can be upgraded for long
term supportability).
Today if you glance at the site you see "Open Source Cloud Computing". I'm not sure that's
very helpful in an age where everything is moving to open source and cloud computing no longer
seems to mean in the market what it did in 2008 (pretty much every web or mobile app or hosting
services seems to be "cloud").
Cross posting this discussion to marketing, hopefully this can intersect with renewed investment
by the community members to make CloudStack more accessible to the rest of the world and thus
bring more participants to the community.
Ian