cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Important: XenServer labels reverted for backward compatibility
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2015 11:14:24 GMT
Hi Tim,

The issue affects new deployments using existing tooling which references the original api
parameter of xentrafficlabel.

It will also affect any tooling which may update the labels, although this is a rare occurance.

The main issue is backwards compatibility, but also a concern that there may be other areas
where the api parameters have changed from xen to xenserver.

Anyone who has developed a custom UI may run into issues.

Is there a list of all the API changes that have been made?

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

D: +44 20 3603 0542<tel:+442036030542> | S: +44 20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540>
| M: +447968161581<tel:+447968161581>

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com<mailto:geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com>

From: Tim Mackey [mailto:tmackey@gmail.com]
Sent: 02 February 2015 11:05
To: Rohit Yadav
Cc: Geoff Higginbottom; dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Important: XenServer labels reverted for backward compatibility

Rohit,  how does the issue manifest itself?  I ask because I thought I'd taken care of every
scenario during upgrade.
On Feb 2, 2015 10:52 AM, "Rohit Yadav" <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>>
wrote:
Hi Tim,

Geoff found a issue today that breaks backward compatibility for
XenServer users.

Until 4.4, XenServer traffic label was xennetworklabel but in 4.5/master
it is xenservernetworklabel. To keep backward compatibility I'm
reverting such changes introduced in
a8212d9ef458dd7ac64b021e6fa33fcf64b3cce0 (xenserver plugin refactoring).
When in future we'll have a separate xen project plugin (based on
libvirt or what have you) we should add a new label like
xenprojectnetworklabel but let's keep the old one for backward
compatibility's sake.

It could be valid change, if so please advise any other way to maintain
backward compatibility? Please comment if this is okay?

The issue has been fixed on 4.5/master now:

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 8826230892<tel:%2B91%208826230892> | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>
Blog: bhaisaab.org<http://bhaisaab.org> | Twitter: @_bhaisaab
PS. If you see any footer below, I did not add it :)

IaaS Cloud Design & Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build/>>

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.