cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2015 is coming
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2015 08:01:07 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the filter Abhi.

I've added a few that I found interesting (supporting docker and bhyve,
QA/integration cleansing and automation, small tools). I'm really
looking forward to mentoring or co-mentoring new developers.

On Wednesday 04 February 2015 09:59 AM, Abhinandan Prateek wrote:
> This filter will show the GSOC 2015 project offered for cloudstack https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12330309
>
> Go ahead and add some !
>

>> On 03-Feb-2015, at 2:12 pm, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> GSoC 2015 is back.
>> Time to enter your project proposals in jira if you want to mentor.
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Ulrich Stärk <uli@apache.org>
>>> Subject: Google Summer of Code 2015 is coming
>>> Date: February 2, 2015 5:44:52 PM EST
>>> To: mentors@community.apache.org
>>>
>>> Hello PMCs (incubator Mentors, please forward this email to your podlings),
>>>
>>> Google Summer of Code [1] is a program sponsored by Google allowing students
to spend their summer
>>> working on open source software. Students will receive stipends for developing
open source software
>>> full-time for three months. Projects will provide mentoring and project ideas,
and in return have
>>> the chance to get new code developed and - most importantly - to identify and
bring in new committers.

>>> The ASF will apply as a participating organization meaning individual projects
don't have to apply
>>> separately.
>>>
>>> If you want to participate with your project we ask you to do the following things
by no later than

>>> 1. understand what it means to be a mentor [2].
>>>
>>> 2. record your project ideas.
>>>
>>> Just create issues in JIRA, label them with gsoc2015, and they will show up at
[3]. Please be as
>>> specific as possible when describing your idea. Include the programming language,
the tools and
>>> skills required, but try not to scare potential students away. They are supposed
to learn what's
>>> required before the program starts.
>>>
>>> Use labels, e.g. for the programming language (java, c, c++, erlang, python,
brainfuck, ...) or
>>> technology area (cloud, xml, web, foo, bar, ...) and record them at [5].
>>>
>>> Please use the COMDEV JIRA project for recording your ideas if your project doesn't
use JIRA (e.g.
>>> httpd, ooo). Contact dev@community.apache.org if you need assistance.
>>>
>>> [4] contains some additional information (will be updated for 2015 shortly).
>>>
>>> 3. subscribe to mentors@community.apache.org; restricted to potential mentors,
meant to be used as a
>>> private list - general discussions on the public dev@community.apache.org list
as much as possible
>>> please). Use a recognized address when subscribing (@apache.org or one of your
alias addresses on
>>> record).
>>>
>>> Note that the ASF isn't accepted as a participating organization yet, nevertheless
you *have to*
>>> start recording your ideas now or we might not get accepted.
>>>
>>> Over the years we were able to complete hundreds of projects successfully. Some
of our prior
>>> students are active contributors now! Let's make this year a success again!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Uli
>>>
>>> P.S.: Except for the private parts (label spreadsheet mostly), this email is
free to be shared
>>> publicly if you want to.
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015
>>> [2] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html