cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Phillips <mphilli7...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Orphaned Data Disks
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2015 07:01:17 GMT
To me that's kind of strange to NOT assume to delete the disks that are attached to an instance
at time of deletion.  I think in most real world environments a data disk will belong to one
machine only. Of course the exception is clustering and that is probably outside of this scope.
Even if I was going to do some kind of OS upgrade and wanted to reuse the data disk on another
instance I would probably detach, then reattach to the new instance. Just seems like it can
get messy quick, if a lot of users delete their instances and leave all these orphaned data
disks behind.
It would be awesome to have a selection box to have cloudstack delete ALL attached disks when
an instance is destroyed. Just my 2 cents...

> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 22:56:43 -0700
> Subject: Re: Orphaned Data Disks
> From: shadowsor@gmail.com
> To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
>
> Data disks are their own entity. You can detach them and attach them
> to other VMs. CloudStack doesn't assume that you want all the disks to
> die when you destroy a VM simply because they happen to be attached to
> that vm at the moment.
>
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 10:47 PM, Michael Phillips
> <mphilli7823@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > What was the logic behind leaving the disks orphaned?
> >
> >> From: sanjeev.neelarapu@citrix.com
> >> To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
> >> Subject: RE: Orphaned Data Disks
> >> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 05:30:49 +0000
> >>
> >> That is expected behavior. Right now there is no option to change it.
> >>
> >> Sanjeev,
> >> CloudPlatform Engineering,
> >> Citrix Systems, Inc.

a data disk attached, cloudstack leaves the datadisk orphaned? If so is this expected behavior,
and if so is there an option to change it?