cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Anshul Gangwar <anshul.gang...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [Question] Creating a volume from a snapshot
Date Thu, 01 Jan 2015 07:50:31 GMT
Seems to be reasonable interpretation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Tutkowski [mailto:mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:33 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Question] Creating a volume from a snapshot

For example:

You want to create a volume based on snapshot S1.

Snapshot S1 was created from volume V1.

Volume V1 was associated disk offering DO1.

Disk offering DO1 had the storage tags filled out as such: ST1, STA

Now, when we go to create a new volume (based on S1), it looks like CloudStack's main goal
is to find a storage pool (in the applicable zone) that has (in this example) ST1 and STA
in its list of storage tags (also, the storage type (local or shared) has to match). Such
primary storage is a candidate for this new volume.

Does anyone know if this is a reasonable interpretation?

I noticed one time when I ran this with a snapshot that was created from a volume on local
storage that the new volume was placed on different local storage (and one time it was placed
on the same primary storage). Storage tagging was not being used, but the storage type (of
local) directed this placement. This would be consistent with what I said above.

Thanks!