cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Wilson <steve.wil...@citrix.com>
Subject CloudStack Quality Process
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2014 19:12:27 GMT
Hi Everyone,

It was great to get to see a number of you at the recent CCC in Budapest.  While I was there,
I got to meet face to face with individuals working for several companies that have a real
stake in the commercial success of the CloudStack project.

After joining Citrix (and becoming involved in CloudStack) about a year ago, I’ve come to
believe that we need to do more to mature our quality practices around this codebase.  We
all like to say #cloudstackworks (and it’s true), but this is a massive codebase that’s
used in the most demanding situations.  We have large telecommunications companies and enterprises
who are betting their businesses on this software.  It has to be great!

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the mailing list in recent months about how we
improve in this area.  There is plenty of passion, but we haven’t made enough concrete progress
as a community.  In my discussions with key contributors as CCC, there was general agreement
that the DEV list isn’t a good forum for hashing out these kinds of things.  Email is too
low-bandwidth and too impersonal.

At CCC, I discussed with several people the idea that we commission a small sub team to go
hash out a proposal for how we handle the following topics within the ACS community (which
can then be brought back to the larger community for ratification):

  *   Continuous integration and test automation
  *   Gating of commits
  *   Overall commit workflow

We are looking for volunteers to commit to being part of this team.  This would imply a serious
commitment.  We don’t want hangers on or observers. This will entail real work and late
night meetings.  We’re looking for people who are serious contributors to the codebase.

>From Citrix, David Nalley and Animesh Chaturvedi have booth told me they’re willing
to commit to this project.  They’ve both managed ACS releases and have a really good view
into the current process — and I know both are passionate about improving our process.
From my CCC discussions, I believe there are individuals from Schuberg Philis, Shape Blue
and Cloud Ops who are willing to commit to this process.

If you are willing to be part of this team to drive forward our community, please reply here.

Thanks,

-Steve

Steve Wilson
VP & Product Unit Manager